The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:59am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Filing and Prosecution
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Does anyone know what a status date is?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Does anyone know what a status date is?  (Read 764 times)
Larry W.
Does anyone know what a status date is?
« on: Apr 4th, 2007, 11:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I filed an application a couple months ago, I have a filing date, but I also have a status date listed.  What is that?

I have a question concerning priority.   If I file another application claiming priority to an earlier filed application, I must do so during the pendency of that application?  What is the significance of the 4 months and 16 month deadlines then?

thank you
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Does anyone know what a status date is?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 4:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 4th, 2007, 11:49am, Larry W. wrote:
I filed an application a couple months ago, I have a filing date, but I also have a status date listed.  What is that?

The status date is associated with some action taken by the patent office with your application.  Sometimes the status date is of no particular interest.

Quote:
I have a question concerning priority.   If I file another application claiming priority to an earlier filed application, I must do so during the pendency of that application?  What is the significance of the 4 months and 16 month deadlines then?

The applications must be filed during pendency of the app you are claiming priority to.  The 4 and 16 month deadlines have to do with when your claim for priority is actually provided to the PTO assuming you filed the application on time.   In other words, you may be able to file a patent application and then amend the application to recite a claim to priority at some later point within the 4/16 month deadlines.

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2007, 6:13pm by Isaac » IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »