The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 31st, 2023, 11:41pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Filing and Prosecution
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Combination-Subcombination What Gives?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Combination-Subcombination What Gives?  (Read 1031 times)
Dumbazz
Combination-Subcombination What Gives?
« on: Apr 4th, 2007, 9:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've read the MPEP section on restriction. I still don't get it. I've never understood the concept of combination and subcombination.

Can someone explain in conjunction with a real example involving apples and oranges in a basket or something like that?

I have the general sense that apples and oranges are narrow species of a broader genus, namely fruit.
(with the caveat that I'm no botanist)
I see that apples and oranges are mutually exclusive ... one fruit cannot be both an orange and an apple. If Noah brought only one apple tree and one orange tree on the arc ... we'd have neither today. But that brings up a whole can of worms about how the plants survived the flood when apparently Noah saved only animals. Maybe Noah brought seeds on the arc ... I don't know.
In any event, I suspect that species are mutually exclusive to eachother. So genus is broad, species is narrow, and differing species are mutually exclusive.

I suspect that the concept of combination and subcombination does not invoke mutual exclusivity.
I point out that an orange is a citrus fruit ... maybe that helps make oranges useful in an example about combination and subcombination. For example, an apple and a citrus fruit is not mutually exclusive to an apple and an orange. An apple and a citrus fruit is more broad than an apple and an orange. Are (apple + citrus fruit) and (apple + orange) examples of combination and subcombination?
If so, which is the combination and which is the subcombination?

Thank you for your time.

P.S. Yes Isaac, six chickens can lay 28 eggs in seven days.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Combination-Subcombination What Gives?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 4th, 2007, 4:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 4th, 2007, 9:23am, Dumbazz wrote:
I've read the MPEP section on restriction. I still don't get it. I've never understood the concept of combination and subcombination.

A movie projector with a lens is a combination while the lens alone is a subcombination.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »