The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 6th, 2021, 10:37pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Filing and Prosecution
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Form of Responding - need help
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Form of Responding - need help  (Read 1358 times)
TataBoxInhibitor

Re: Form of Responding - need help
« Reply #5 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 1:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 1st, 2006, 12:03pm, Isaac wrote:

If your argument is that the Examiner is wrong about  the identified groups of inventions being patentably distinct, you might well be best served by electing without traversal.   You really cannot effectively respond to the argument without arguing away claim scope.

If the Examiner has failed meet the criteria for restriction by doing something like not identifying generic claims, not providing a rationale for why examination of the claims is an undue burden, then traversal is more likley be a reasonable choice.

I'll also note that there are plenty of anecdotes around that suggest that arguments over even weakest of restriction requirements won't be successful.

Isaac,
   I am not sure that "the examination of claims is an undue burden" has any role in a restriction requirement argument in the context of design applications.  They are given one claim, so there shouldnt be any burden.   I am sure you were just referring to restriction requirements in general though.
IP Logged
Isaac

Re: Form of Responding - need help
« Reply #6 on: Sep 1st, 2006, 1:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Sep 1st, 2006, 1:26pm, TataBoxInhibitor wrote:
They are given one claim, so there shouldnt be any burden.   I am sure you were just referring to restriction requirements in general though.

Yes, you are absolutely correct.
IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »