The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:45am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Filing and Prosecution
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   What is the best way to change the Attny Do. #
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What is the best way to change the Attny Do. #  (Read 482 times)
dab2d

What is the best way to change the Attny Do. #
« on: Aug 28th, 2006, 10:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have an application and the office has changed the Attny Dockt No.. It is allowed and I don't want to cause any problems. So what is the best way to cahnge that.... Thanks
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2006, 10:42am by dab2d » IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: What is the best way to change the Attny Do. #
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 11:18am »

I typically send in a one-page "Request for Change of Attorney Docket Number."  The body says, "Please change the attorney docket number for the referenced patent application to P-1000."  That's pretty much it.  It works most of the time.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
dab2d

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 11:24am »

Thanks Jim.

I assume you send that to the missing parts mail stop? Or do you think you can file that via EFS?
« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2006, 11:27am by dab2d » IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28th, 2006, 12:06pm »

I wouldn't send it to Missing Parts if the claims are allowed.  I'd probably send it to Box: AF (or the modern day equivalent, if that's outdated).  EFS-web might be okay.  

Here's what I see is the big picture -- you're hoping to get the right docket number on the case before the next paper gets mailed out by the PTO.  However, I'm not sure it matters all that much if you're about the pay the issue fee -- the next paper would be an Issue Notification, and I don't see how the correct docket number really matters all that much at that point.  But, you want the docket number corrected and quickly, I presume.

I honestly don't know what happens in the PTO when you file by EFS-web.  However, I'm pretty sure someone in the PTO handles the incoming paper when you file by fax.  I'd bet someone takes a look at what you file by EFS-web pretty quickly too, but it seems so automatic.

If you really want it handled correctly and quickly, I'd call the PTO help desk, get to the right department and maybe you'll even get a direct fax line of the person who'll make the change in the database.  I've been able to get some quick action in a power of attorney for a certified copy of a priority document for foreign filing in a very short time using that approach.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »