The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Feb 2nd, 2023, 8:49am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Filing and Prosecution
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Invention Disclosure diagrams
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Invention Disclosure diagrams  (Read 2216 times)
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Invention Disclosure diagrams
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27th, 2006, 9:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Aug 27th, 2006, 7:45pm, JodiB wrote:
So I'm kind of going from fine-detail (invention) to bigger picture (preferred embodiment with accessories of how to make it work)

Given that you risk losing the reader (who could be a judge or juror) at any point along the way, I'd really suggest doing what you have to in order to have the application start with the big picture and end with the gory details -- even if it's organized differently in your own mind.  But that's just one person's opinion.

on Aug 27th, 2006, 7:45pm, JodiB wrote:
can/should I in the Preferred Embodiment do some hand-waving and say Box 200 is FIG. 1?

Here's how I do it.  Suppose Figure 1 has a step 200 in it that's shown in greater detail in Figure 2.  I describe Figure 1 as if it's complete on its own.  Then, later, I write "Step 200 (Figure 1) is shown in greater detail as logic flow 200 (Figure 2)."  I have a "200" with an arrow pointing at generally the entire flow chart of Figure 2.  The link of the reference numeral "200" seems to make it clear (to me, anyway) that the flow chart of Figure 2 is step 200 of Figure 1 in greater detail.

I think I do this in just about every software patent I write, so you can search for any recent software applications of mine and see what I'm talking about.

Regards.
« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2006, 10:00pm by JimIvey » IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »