The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:00am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Filing and Prosecution
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Time to first office action for regular patent app
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Time to first office action for regular patent app  (Read 2762 times)
Miguel
Re: Time to first office action for regular patent
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 1:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Question. How can I track the progress of my own application if it's still not published to view history? I have the filing number 11/******. Is this what is needed? Who to ask or where to go? My filing date was in March of this year, is it too soon? And finally, can I very my agent actually filed it and did not give me a bogus number?

Thanks.
Miguel
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: Time to first office action for regular patent
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31st, 2006, 6:07am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If your patent agent has access to what's called Private PAIR (on-line patent application status and documents), he can determine the status of the application.  Other than that, applications are secret until they publish at 18 months from filing (or priority).
If your application was filed in March, it is much, much too soon to expect an Office Action.  Review Mr. Tanzer's informative post on this thread of August 27, 2006.  It will give you an idea of pendency to first OA.
Re your last question:  If your agent submitted a return receipt postcard with your application (assuming it was mailed rather than filed electronically), that should (I had one come back well over one year after I filed) show the application was received.  The postcard will have a stamp on it from the USPTO.  Also, since you have a serial number (11/******), a Filing Receipt has been received by your agent (either electronically or by mail).  I generally forward copies to my clients or at least notify them it's been received, but your agent may not do that.  Ask him for a copy.  It will show the first-named inventor, filing date, title, serial number. etc.
One final comment.  You seem concerned that your agent may not be trustworthy.  If that's the case, I suggest you discuss it with him.  A relationship of trust is critical in this business.  If your agent values your business, and I have no reason to doubt he doesn't, he will welcome such a discussion.  That's one reason why I continually keep my clients in the loop.  If you can't, or don't, trust him, I'd find another agent.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »