The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 12:20am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Filing and Prosecution
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Inlcuding objectives in specification
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Inlcuding objectives in specification  (Read 1525 times)
Jonathan

Re: Inlcuding objectives in specification
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 2:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Write the detailed description before the claims?

Blasphemy!

Grin
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #6 on: Aug 24th, 2006, 3:52pm »

on Aug 24th, 2006, 2:49pm, JimIvey wrote:
For what it's worth, my highly unconventional sequence in patent application writing is:  background, drawings, detailed description, more drawings, more detailed description (iterate over drawings and detailed description as necessary), claims, summary, brief description of the drawings, abstract.  Done.

This is pretty close to the order in which I do it, but since we alll use a word processor instead of a type writer, there's no reason not to amend the detailed description once I smarten up.    Generally I don't leave anything in the summary that does not appear elsewhere.   To the extent possible I try to make the summary completely superfluous.

I've never thought of the idea of using the summary to hold definitions.   I like it, but I don't have the freedom to use that approach right now.

As for writing the claims first, I started out writing the claims first, partly because my initial mentor did worked for some government agencies who wanted to buy in on the claims early in the process.   The cases I teethed on were all given to me with claims that I wasn't supposed to mess with unless necessary.

Lots of people recommend a claims first approach mainly for reasons that I don't think are applicable to more experienced practitioners.
IP Logged

Isaac
LF

« Reply #7 on: Aug 25th, 2006, 9:33am »

Isaac:

Thanks for the insight. As someone starting out, this board is one great place to learn from others.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »