The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 28th, 2023, 1:18am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Filing and Prosecution
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Easy Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Easy Question  (Read 587 times)
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Easy Question
« on: Aug 17th, 2006, 6:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I know I should know the answer to this off the top of my head, but it's been so long, I don't.  (In reality, I've slept since then.)
Anyway, I'm filing a Pet. to Rev. (The case went abandoned and is being revived in the same transmittal.), an RCE, and a Pre. Am.  I'll be canceling all but the allowed claims from the previous OA.  (A CON will be filed later.)
Question:  Is PTO/SB/30 sufficient for the RCE, or will I have to include another paper in addition to the Pre. Am. and the Pet. to Rev.?
Thanks, guys!

IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

Re: Easy Question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 7:40pm »

This may be non-responsive, but I'm not sure it would be a Preliminary Amendment.  The RCE is supposed to include a submission you would have submitted in response to the prior Office Action, so the Amendment would not be "Preliminary."

And, if you're canceling all but the allowed claims, why are you filing an RCE?  You're allowed to cancel rejected claims in response to a final Office Action -- no RCE required.  

So, I'd file the Petition to Revive and an Amendment in response to the final Office Action in which you only cancel rejected claims.  What transmittal goes with that is not something I'm sure of off the top of my head.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Wiscagent

« Reply #2 on: Aug 17th, 2006, 8:46pm »

Jim wrote “…The RCE is supposed to include a submission you would have submitted in response to the prior Office Action, …"  

That’s generally true, but (picking nits) 37 CFR 1.114 states:

(a) If prosecution in an application is closed, an applicant may request continued
  examination of the application by filing a submission and the fee …

(c) A submission as used in this section includes, but is not limited to, an information
  disclosure statement, an amendment to the written description, claims, or drawings,
  new arguments, or new evidence in support of patentability.  If reply to an Office
  action under 35 U.S.C. 132 is outstanding, the submission must meet the reply
  requirements of sec. 1.111.

So there can be a situation wherein all the claims have been allowed (i.e. prosecution is closed) but a new reference is discovered.  In that case you may need to file an RCE just so that you can submit an IDS.  There can be other situations where an RCE is required so that you can fix a defect after allowance but before the patent issues.

Richard Tanzer
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Bill Richards

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 18th, 2006, 8:05am »

Thanks for your help!
In fact, I made a quick call to the PTO and they agree.  All that required is Form /64 and the amendment as suggested by Jim.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »