The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 26th, 2019, 1:37am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Filing and Prosecution
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Any interest in monthly payments for prosecution?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any interest in monthly payments for prosecution?  (Read 4552 times)
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: Any interest in monthly payments for prosecuti
« Reply #5 on: Jun 7th, 2006, 9:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Jim,
I don't believe it was calculated in the same way.  From what I know, it's in the range of $5,000 to $10,000 per month, FLAT.  That's to cover all the prep and pros that comes his way from the client.  (This guy's a risk-taker, but very efficient.)
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #6 on: Jun 7th, 2006, 12:39pm »

I can see that working out with the right type of client.  Interesting approach -- especially folding in the application preparation.  My fear would be putting in $20-30k or more work in the first two months and then having the client terminate the arrangement and walk away having paid $10k.  But then I've had worse happen with traditional arrangements, so I guess it's not that risky.

Of course, filing without signatures would make me useful for another couple months (need to file the missing parts to avoid abandonment), and I'd probably recover a reasonably fair amount.  Given the nature of that arrangement, I'd expect that the client has more applications lined up for the patent practitioner.

Interesting post.  Thanks.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
RMissimer

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 6:57am »

Interesting reply born-man.

My firm approaches life from another direction.  We provide a "Not to exceed" price and then work for T&M.   This is not uncommon in the Midwest.  I know of several attorneys that are independant and either charge a low fixed rate,  or the like.

We decided on the "Not to exceed" because it seemed like the percentage of those below the MAX were substantial.

Look to www.PatentsPenned.com for details.
IP Logged

RS Missimer
Patents Penned, Inc.
PO Box 486
Butler, WI 53007-0486
(262) 565-8200
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15th, 2006, 1:16pm »

Looks like someone wrote a really cool script.  Perhaps YaBB can benefit from one of those call-and-answer verifications involving a smeared image of text and a text-entry box.

note: cross-posted in the forum suggestion topic....

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
pentazole

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17th, 2007, 1:03pm »

What about splitting the cost into two chunks, a flat fee for drafting/filing, and a flat fee for complete prosecution.  Say 4-5K for drafting, and 3-4 for prosecution.  Arrange the payments for the drafting part for 3 years, and on contract arrange the beginning of payment on the prosecution either at 3 years or at first office action, whichever comes first.  Split that for 2-3 years.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »