The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 24th, 2019, 6:28pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Drafting/Interpretation
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   combining nonprovisionals
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: combining nonprovisionals  (Read 724 times)
PP
combining nonprovisionals
« on: Nov 7th, 2007, 11:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am given the task of combining three nonprovisionals to a single PCT application. How is this usually done?Would it be a good idea to completely redraft the claims and the description  in such a way as to encompass the subject matter of all the three nonprovisionals. Is it required that in the subsequent applications we should not substantially alter the scope of the individual claims in the priority documents? Specifically, what I am attempting  here is to avoid a rejection based on "unity of invention", but I still want to ensure subject matter support required to claim priority. Although the subject matter of the three nonprovisionals are related, it requires some effort to stitch them leaving no marks.  I am a little confused here. Any help would be greatly appreciated

IP Logged
DJoshEsq

Email

Re: combining nonprovisionals
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 2:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Speak to a professional.  

Basics - claim priority to each and incorporate each by reference.

More advanced - drafting claims to cover related inventions without getting unity of invention (but you should examine, if you really even care about this) Also, rewriting the specification of one to weave the inventions together is a skill but doing it with your claims is the most difficult task.
IP Logged

D. Joshua Smith, Esq.
Registered Patent Attorney
McDonald Hopkins, LLC
Cleveland, OH
216-348-5400
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »