The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 20th, 2018, 4:52pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Drafting/Interpretation
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Best Patent Practicioners to Learn From
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Best Patent Practicioners to Learn From  (Read 3264 times)
Agent_Smiley

Best Patent Practicioners to Learn From
« on: Sep 24th, 2007, 11:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been a registered patent agent for over a year now and have had the opportunity to work under a couple different patent attorneys whose drafting styles are very different. It's difficult to say whose is best and while I've read many patents that seemed better-written than others, their true value doesn't become apparent until they are litigated.

Does anyone here recommend the styles of a particular practicioner whose work can be viewed, for example, in patents that have survived the test of fire?
IP Logged
patent_type

Re: Best Patent Practicioners to Learn From
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25th, 2007, 8:39pm »

Nope, sorry.  

But I will recommend that you ask the attorneys with whom you are working *why* they do some of the things they do.  Your style will end up being a blend of the folks with whom you work and the applications/caselaw you read.  You can always read the claims of the patents in major law-setting litigation and see claims the courts say were done properly and the claims that were done improperly.
IP Logged
DJoshEsq

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 12:08am »

I agree with patent-type's answer.  Also remember that each invention is unique and may require a different styled patent application, e.g. electronic/computer patents typically require a different style than mechanical patents.  Even more specifically, you sometimes have no idea why an application was drafted a certian way - e.g. the client may know that the invention must be very narrow...so the application may be written very narrowly.  

Anyways, your style will develop with time - pay attention to court decisions, read as many patents as you can and as patent-type said ask why.  
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2007, 12:09am by DJoshEsq » IP Logged

D. Joshua Smith, Esq.
Registered Patent Attorney
McDonald Hopkins, LLC
Cleveland, OH
216-348-5400
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28th, 2007, 8:31pm »

on Sep 24th, 2007, 11:11am, Agent_Smiley wrote:
Does anyone here recommend the styles of a particular practicioner whose work can be viewed, for example, in patents that have survived the test of fire?

I've had a litigator defending my work call it "a dream patent" and I've had a client referred to me by a litigator who attacked my work and deposed me.  In terms of litigation, that's the best I've done in a "test of fire" if that's what you're referring to.

Like I've said many times here, just because my name is on a patent doesn't mean I wrote it.  Similarly, just because my name isn't on a patent doesn't mean I didn't write it.  If you're curious, ask and I'll tell you.  Or, you can look up the application in public PAIR and see if I signed it.

Sorry, but I've been solo for so long that I can't really recommend anyone else to look up.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Agent_Smiley

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12th, 2007, 3:25pm »

Thanks Jim. I've recently purchased a copy of the book Invention Analysis and Claim Drafting by Slusky. Great information. Wish I had the advantage of it when I was first starting out. He mentions many practicioners in there that he regards as great to learn from. Have you heard of the book? Read it yet?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »