The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 31st, 2023, 11:30pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Drafting/Interpretation
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   How to express this range
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How to express this range  (Read 798 times)
sans
How to express this range
« on: Jun 11th, 2007, 5:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Three materials A, B and C are present in a combination in their relative molar ratio A:B:C, in which B and C cover a range.  I am  looking for some elegant expressions of the range. I would not want to express it in the form 1:2.0-5.0:3.0-6.0, which, I feel, appears a little wierd. Any better  expressions would be highly appreciated.

sans

IP Logged
ttglink

Re: How to express this range
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17th, 2007, 8:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I would present ratios in trems of corresponding percentage ranges with the lower % for each component the same for all three (only where possible).  

e.g 1:2-5:3-6 will roughly translate into 16% A (never define component % as fixed), 32 to 42% B and 42-52% C.
IP Logged
sans
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 4:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for that.  

If I describe it plainly as
"A combination comprising materials coal(A), copper(B) and glass(C), the materials being present in their molar ratio a:b:c, wherein a is 1.0, b is in the range 2.0 to 5.0  and c is in the range 3.0 to 6.0" does it sound okay?

sans
IP Logged
pentazole

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19th, 2007, 2:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

You don't really need to present them all at the same time.  You present each separately.  Give a first broad range for each, then a more narrow range for each.

so say A is present in 1-60 (for example) wt% based on the total weight of the composition, specifically 5-50, more specifically etc.  Then do the same for B and C.  Easier to prosecute if you need to amend your ranges in the claims.  You can then add another embodiment where you say the ranges of A and B and C relative to each others.  It's good to start off broad without being indefinite, instead of limiting yourself from the getgo.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »