The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2020, 7:29am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Drafting/Interpretation
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patentese
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patentese  (Read 1684 times)
alan_watts

Patentese
« on: May 28th, 2007, 4:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm struggling with patentese.

One problem that I have is that in a description of a complex apparatus which has a large number of elements where each element can be either singular or plural, writing sentences becomes a problem. If I use "at least one" 10 times in the row then the sentence is unreadable. On another hand if I use "a element"  then I'm wondering if I'm specific enough to let one skilled in art know that I could also use more then one element. Particularly in the following sentences where I say "the element", or should I refer to it later as  "the element(s).

Here are a few examples that I found in different patent applications. Some of them sound very awkward but are being used.

Which one do you use:
"a wheel"  and thereafter "the wheel(s)"
at least one wheel
at least a one wheel
at least one a wheel
one or more wheel
one or more wheels
one or more a wheels

Also what form would you rather use:

...limiting quantity of units...
or  
...limiting quantity of a unit...

The first form implies plural because of the "s" at the end but the quantity could be just 1 unit.  

The second implies singular but the quantity could be more then 1.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2007, 11:20pm by alan_watts » IP Logged
McGregot
Re: Patentese
« Reply #1 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 8:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Looks like nobody is qualified or capable to answer your question Smiley
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #2 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 8:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Probably no one has responded because the answer is so fact dependent.

Here’s one approach: write a claim with each item in singular form, then in a dependent claim explicitly stating that any of the items can be a plurality.  For example:

Claim 1.  A gadget comprising a power source, an on/off switch, and a light source, wherein the light source illuminates when the switch is in the on position.

Claim 2.  The gadget of claim 1 comprising a plurality of power sources, on/off switches, or light sources.

Alternatively just have claim 1, and make it clear in the description that “a power source” means at least one power source, and so forth.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
alan_watts
« Reply #3 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 1:56pm »

Here is a specific example of what I'm talking about. It applies to the description of the invention and and not to the claims. I added in the bolierplate text that an "(s)" at the end of a word shall mean "one or more" of the lements described by that word.

In this embodiment of the invention an owner of a  timeshare-property or an authorized party, having a legal authority to limit a quantity of a share(s) issued for the timeshare property, exercises at least one legal right to limit a quantity of the share(s).  The  right(s) to limit the quantity of the share(s) is(are) exercised using a one or more  agreement(s), or a one or more declaration(s), or at least a one agreement together with at least a one declaration. Wherein said agreement(s) and/or declaration(s) is(are) legally or financially, or legally and financially enforceable, and obligates(obligate) at least one executing party legally and/or financially to perform as agreed and/or declared and limit the quantity of share(s) according to one or more provision(s) of the agreement(s) and/or statement(s) made in the declaration(s).

IP Logged
alan_watts
« Reply #4 on: Jun 6th, 2007, 2:07pm »

Can anyone suggest a better way of writing the above paragraph ? Common English is rather useless for writing logically correct sentences unless we take under consideration implied meanings that can be very controversial and misunderstood.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »