The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2020, 7:22am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Drafting/Interpretation
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   CAD program for drafting own figures?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CAD program for drafting own figures?  (Read 1972 times)
Isaac

Re: CAD program for drafting own figures?
« Reply #10 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 11:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Apr 25th, 2007, 11:18pm, BotchedExperiment wrote:
For an example of the types of items I'm referring to, see this patent:7,192,088.

I'd have to agree with Jim about the advisability of farming out drawings like the ones in 7,192,088.   When I was doing my first couple of applications, and wondering where the next bit of work was going to come from, I played around with Autocad.   Even though I had more time than money on my hands, I reached the conclusion that the only figures I could do cost effectively and in a timely matter were block diagrams and flow charts.   I also decided that Autocad was overkill for those kinds of figures.

Of course the other problem is that my drawing skills would get me kicked out of any kindergarten in the country.

IP Logged

Isaac
stillstudying
« Reply #11 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 4:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I don't know if it can output suitable drawings for apps, but I just started fiddling around with a free version of Alibre Design to do some 3D CAD modeling.  The pay version is about a thousand bucks, IIRC;  I'm not sure what all they remove from the free edition (sheet metal folding is one of the deleted features), but it seems to handle the basics that I've tried so far.

It's at www dot alibre dot com.

Once you finish installing all the other things it requires, like DirectX 9.0c and PDFCreator, its installation is straightforward.  It was a bit of a pain for me to get all the other stuff installed first, but I haven't upgraded my Microsoft stuff since Win2KSP4.

PDFCreator is pretty fantastic.  I wish I'd had it six months ago.
IP Logged
TataBoxInhibitor

« Reply #12 on: May 17th, 2007, 11:51am »

on Apr 25th, 2007, 10:31am, JimIvey wrote:
I use StarOffice/OpenOffice.org (OOo). OOo is free, works on pretty much all platforms (I run a Linux shop here) and the drawing program rivals, equals, or perhaps surpasses Visio. I've been getting better and better and, at the risk of seeming immodest, continually impress myself. I suppose kudos go to the OOo community moreso than to myself.

Add to all that the one-button export to PDF for eFiling, and I see no reason to consider anything else.

Regards.

P.S. I wanted to include an example of drawings I've done in OOo, but couldn't think of any. I've just discovered that one issued yesterday: U.S. Patent 7,209,139. It's not on Google Patents yet, but you can use your patent downloader/viewer of choice when the patent becomes available.

Is that the same thing as openoffice.org - draw?
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #13 on: May 17th, 2007, 6:59pm »

Yes.  OOo is shorthand for OpenOffice.org.  "Draw" is their drawing program.

The main shortcoming is a dearth of clip art and templates.  If I could figure out how to create a "theme" (gallery collection of drawing elements), I'd share it on the web site for that.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
TataBoxInhibitor

« Reply #14 on: May 24th, 2007, 8:34am »

on May 17th, 2007, 6:59pm, JimIvey wrote:
Yes. OOo is shorthand for OpenOffice.org. "Draw" is their drawing program.

The main shortcoming is a dearth of clip art and templates. If I could figure out how to create a "theme" (gallery collection of drawing elements), I'd share it on the web site for that.

Regards.

Have you had any translation issues from openoffice to .doc?   I am writing a response using openoffice for the first time.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »