The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2020, 7:40am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Drafting/Interpretation
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   CAD program for drafting own figures?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: CAD program for drafting own figures?  (Read 1973 times)
BotchedExperiment

Email

CAD program for drafting own figures?
« on: Apr 24th, 2007, 9:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm writing patent applications for simple mechanical devices and am thinking about drafting my own figures.
Is there a single most popular CAD program that draftsman use?

Also, have any of you tried drafting your own figures (I read somewhere that one of you (Maybe Jim Ivey) drafts his own figures but in software, it's mostly boxes with text)?  

Since I'd be charging a flat rate for pages of figures, I'm wondering whether the learning curve is so steep that it would take months for it to start being cost effective.
IP Logged

Repeating experiments since 1998.
TataBoxInhibitor

Re: CAD program for drafting own figures?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24th, 2007, 10:01pm »

I mainly use PowerCADD.   It has a huge amount of cross-hatching templates. Sometimes I will use AutoSketch, Photoshop and Illustrator.   AutoDesk is also a good program for very basic mechanical inventions, integrated circuits etc.
IP Logged
patentsusa

« Reply #2 on: Apr 24th, 2007, 10:46pm »

A lot of practitioners who are doing their own drawings use Visio but they are mostly just doing flowcharts.  

I prefer to use a good patent draftsman.
IP Logged

Deepak Malhotra, JD, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
Malhotra Law Firm
www.patentsusa.com
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #3 on: Apr 25th, 2007, 10:31am »

I use StarOffice/OpenOffice.org (OOo).  OOo is free, works on pretty much all platforms (I run a Linux shop here) and the drawing program rivals, equals, or perhaps surpasses Visio.  I've been getting better and better and, at the risk of seeming immodest, continually impress myself.  I suppose kudos go to the OOo community moreso than to myself.

Add to all that the one-button export to PDF for eFiling, and I see no reason to consider anything else.

Regards.

P.S.  I wanted to include an example of drawings I've done in OOo, but couldn't think of any.  I've just discovered that one issued yesterday: U.S. Patent 7,209,139.  It's not on Google Patents yet, but you can use your patent downloader/viewer of choice when the patent becomes available.
« Last Edit: Apr 25th, 2007, 11:01am by JimIvey » IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
Jonathan

« Reply #4 on: Apr 25th, 2007, 1:05pm »

Fig. 14 is very nice..   Smiley

I use SmartDraw myself, not by choice, but it is pretty robust. It's not free and also is "canvas-based." Basically there is one huge desktop with page boundary delineations. There is no inserting or deleting of individual pages - that's my major beef with it but I am able to work around that one fault.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »