The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2020, 8:03am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Drafting/Interpretation
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Cut and Paste Ok?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cut and Paste Ok?  (Read 1975 times)
stillstudying
Re: Cut and Paste Ok?
« Reply #10 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 2:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Apr 19th, 2007, 9:39pm, JimIvey wrote:

Was this particular examiner an attorney?  Sounds like a legal opinion to me.  He/she may have been right, but the "no uncertain terms" doesn't sound right.  There are always exceptions -- even to the rule that there are always exceptions.

I don't know.  I guess (since I'm not an attorney  Grin ) that what it boils down to is, normal copyright laws and customs do apply.

I do wonder about this, since I ran into a particularly fine bit of boilerplate that I'd like to use myself (the usual "although we are showing specific stuff, the invention may be practiced without doing exactly what we're showing here").

At this point, you can pretty much presume copyrights will last forever -- as long as Disney can mount an impressive lobbying campaign each time "Steamboat Willie" is about to fall into public domain.

Isn't it interesting?  There is considerable pressure to weaken patents, which appear to favor smaller parties over larger parties (who could just use market power to bully competitors rather than patents).  And, there is considerable pressure to strengthen copyrights, ownership of which seems to be concentrated in the hands of just a few very large entities.  If I didn't know better, I'd say large corporations have considerable lobbying efforts relative to the lobbying efforts of smaller entities.

Regards.

Brilliantly put.  I'd never thought about the linkage between them before.
IP Logged
Wolfcastle

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 7:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm pretty sure it's okay to plagiarize the MPEP...

MPEP 1512
Quote:
(C) Inclusion of a copyright notice will be permitted only if the following waiver is included at the beginning (preferably as the first paragraph) of the specification to be printed for the patent:

A portion of the disclosure of this patent document contains material to which a claim for copyright is made. The copyright owner has no objection to the facsimile reproduction by anyone of the patent document or the patent disclosure, as it appears in the Patent and Trademark Office patent file or records, but reserves all other copyright rights whatsoever.

so what is the definition of facsimile reproduction?

IP Logged

TataBoxInhibitor

« Reply #12 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 10:46pm »

Was this particular examiner an attorney?  Sounds like a legal opinion to me.  He/she may have been right, but the "no uncertain terms" doesn't sound right.  There are always exceptions -- even to the rule that there are always exceptions.

At this point, you can pretty much presume copyrights will last forever -- as long as Disney can mount an impressive lobbying campaign each time "Steamboat Willie" is about to fall into public domain.

Isn't it interesting?  There is considerable pressure to weaken patents, which appear to favor smaller parties over larger parties (who could just use market power to bully competitors rather than patents).  And, there is considerable pressure to strengthen copyrights, ownership of which seems to be concentrated in the hands of just a few very large entities.  If I didn't know better, I'd say large corporations have considerable lobbying efforts relative to the lobbying efforts of smaller entities.

Regards.

Well put.   Disney is the first topic on the first day of copyrights.   They have a pretty amazing the effect.
IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #13 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 2:54pm »

on Apr 20th, 2007, 7:24pm, Wolfcastle wrote:
I'm pretty sure it's okay to plagiarize the MPEP...

MPEP 1512

so what is the definition of facsimile reproduction?

By facsimile the PTO means a faithful and accurate copying of the patent specification.

IMO the problem with MPEP 1512, is that under current law, simply preventing the application of a  copyright notice is not effective to put a creative work in the public domain, as was the case under older versions of copyright law.

IP Logged

Isaac
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »