The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2020, 7:47am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Drafting/Interpretation
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Need Help w/ this
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Need Help w/ this  (Read 1863 times)
Ronald
Need Help w/ this
« on: Oct 17th, 2006, 9:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Claim drafting:

1. I want to claim a large group of different databases, though I can only really name about 5 - 6 types of content that fits the databases, I know there is more and will be more in the future.  How can I claim this?

2. If I want a user to be able to select from a grouping of items, or a plurality of items, how can I say I want that user to be able to select more than just one from the plurality?

ie.  A user selects a first picture...., a second picture.....,

the user can select one at a time, do I have to write that all out?
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: Need Help w/ this
« Reply #1 on: Oct 17th, 2006, 9:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Roland -

I'm sure this is not the response you are hoping for, but it sounds like you need an experienced practitioner to review your application and help you with the claims.

Clearly this is not something that can or should be done in this forum.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
TataBoxInhibitor

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17th, 2006, 11:57am »

Wiscagent is right.   That sounds like it could be pretty complex.   There are ways to claim open-ended by using certain terms.   If a user is selecting from a plurality you could use "a at least one, " indicating one and more than one.   It is hard to provide more without more detail, but as said above, probably not a good idea here in a forum.
IP Logged
JimIvey

jamesdivey  

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17th, 2006, 1:01pm »

I'll try to get a little more specific, but odds are that I won't get specific enough to help much.  

If I understand correctly, you have a broad concept you want to claim but can only think of 5-6 specific examples.  One approach is to distill one or more characteristics that separate those 5-6 examples from the universe of possible database content types -- then claim database contents defined by those characteristics.  Another approach is to look at the database contents functionally -- what effect do they have on processing?  How are they used?  Then, claim that functionality.  For someone working with patents in the computer technology space for a while, this would be rather routine.

If you want to claim an element which can be any of a limited number of things, you can use a Markush grouping:  "an element selected from a group consisting of: a first item, a second item, ... and an Nth item."  Actually, I think you're asking about something different -- e.g., a pull-down/pop-up menu.  I'd approach that with something like this:
Quote:
A method comprising:
presenting the user with user interface elements to allow the user to select from items from a group that includes a first picture, a second picture, a rotate element, a resize element, ... and a nevermind element;
receiving signals generated by the user that represent a selected one of the items of the group;  
doing stuff with respect to the selected item.....

I hope that helps.

Regards.
IP Logged

--
James D. Ivey
Law Offices of James D. Ivey
http://www.iveylaw.com
SoCalAttny
« Reply #4 on: Nov 3rd, 2006, 5:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

My supervising attorney told me that if I were to have a means + function claim, a structure + function claim and a process claim I would get a restriction office action. He said the process is another invention. Comptuer related invention. Make senseHuhHuh?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »