The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 9th, 2020, 8:30am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Drafting/Interpretation
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Product patents
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Product patents  (Read 2794 times)
Rahul Vartak
Product patents
« on: May 4th, 2004, 3:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello Forum,

This is regarding the interpretations of Claim types.  

Should we interpret  that  the claim for  a new polymorph ,salt or hydrate / (A new form of previously approved compound.) is eligible to get a product patent status.?
The new  product may have better stability than the original product claimed in the basic substance patent.  

Rahul Vartak.

IP Logged
M. Arthur Auslander

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Product patents
« Reply #1 on: May 4th, 2004, 5:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

If the product has or is likely to have commercial value, it would be prudent to start with a patent search and if encouraging, apply.

Maintain secrecy and avoid public use until your stature is clear. You want to be able to maintain treaty priority.
IP Logged

M. Arthur Auslander
Auslander & Thomas-Intellectual Property Law
3008 Johnson Ave., New York, NY 10463
7185430266, aus@auslander.com
Reality Check® ELAINE's Workshop®
eric stasik

director, patent08

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: May 4th, 2004, 6:14am »

Dear Mr. Vartak,

Yes. U.S. Patent 6,723,728, for example.  

1. A polymorphic compound of (-)-cis-FTC, wherein the compound displays the following angular positions (two theta) of characteristic peaks in a powder X-ray diffraction pattern:  

a. 14.7.degree..1.degree..+-.0.1.degree., 16.7.degree..+-.0.1.degree., 19.6.degree..+-.0.1.degree., 21.1.degree..+-.0.1.degree., 21.8.degree..+-.0.1.degree., 24.6.degree..+-.0.1.degree., and 25.6.degree..+-.0.1.degree.(Form II (-)-cis-FTC); or  

b. 14.5.degree..+-.0.1.degree., 16.7.degree..+-.0.1.degree., 19.6.degree..+-.0.1.degree., 20.4.degree..+-.0.1.degree., 21.4.degree..+-.0.1.degree., 21.7.degree..+-.0.1.degree., 25.2.degree..+-.0.1.degree., and 26.2.degree..+-.0.1.degree.(Form III (-)-cis-FTC).  

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&am p;p=1&u=/netahtml/search-adv.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&d=ptxt&S1=polymorph.ACLM.&OS=ACLM/(polymorph)&RS=ACLM/polymorph

Man, am I glad that I'm not a chemical engineer!  

Whenever I think it's hard for me to read electrical claims, all I do is look at one of these babies.  

Kind Regards,

Eric Stasik
IP Logged

eric stasik
director

http://www.patent08.com

patent08
patent engineering,
business development,
and licensing services
postbox 24203
104 51 stockholm
sweden
cicy

« Reply #3 on: May 4th, 2004, 7:24am »

Dear vartak,

First of all, i must explain that i come form China, so my experience is based on the Chinese patent practice.

any inventions, which is wanted to be granted a patent right, should have novelty and inventiveness according to the patent laws of all the counties in the world. According to your description, i.e., the polymorph, salt or hydrate is a new form, the product has novelty. With respect to inventiveness, if you can prove that the new product will have much better stability thant the original product, and further prove that this improvement is unobvious, if possible, the product will have inventiveness.

By the way, according to my expercise, the requirements on the inventiveness in China is much strict than that in US. Therefore, if your product is allowed in China, i think it will patentable in US.

Best regards,

Cicy
IP Logged
Rahul Vartak
« Reply #4 on: May 4th, 2004, 9:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks All,

I would like to clarify my query.
The first patent basic patent claims all salts, hydrates in general along with the product (Active ingredient) and the second patent clams a specific salt or a specific hydrate of the Active ingredient.
The second patent also claims better stability.
 In that case will the second patent get product patent status in the light of first one, considering both the patents are assigned to the same firm and the differnce in the filing date of both patents is around six to ten years.

Rahul Vartak.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »