The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 24th, 2019, 11:44pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   1L who wants to drop out
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1L who wants to drop out  (Read 3842 times)
IPisGold
Re: 1L who wants to drop out
« Reply #5 on: Dec 14th, 2007, 2:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This is fantastic advice, and rings true. I am currently a second year student at a Tier 2 law school. I am in the bottom half of my class as well, but sent out about 50 hardcopies of my resume and cover letter. I managed to find a summer associate position at a patent litigation firm near my school. It is the only offer I got, but that's fine with me. Do all that you can do now to distinguish yourself from the others. Pass the patent bar, find litigation work in something non-IP related, cold call, whatever. I think you will find something IP related, just be persistent. I find that personality and motivation go a long way with these patent firms.  

on Dec 14th, 2007, 12:11pm, PatentDave wrote:
I graduated in the bottom half of a tier 3/4 law school.  It took me about 6 months to find a job as a Patent Attorney after I was admitted to the state bar.  But I did find a job that I am fairly happy about (doing IP work which is great, but more litigation than prosecution for my taste).

I certainly agree that you should do what makes you happy.  If you want to be a Patent Attorney, you will get a job as one.  Work hard, market yourself, network, cold calls, and stacks of cover letters and resumes.  When it comes down to it, if you want it go out and get it.

As far as concrete advice goes...First, get an internship or clerkship this summer.  It's not essential that it be IP related.  If that doesn't happen for you, take and pass the Patent Bar.  Doing either of those will put you in a better position to secure an IP-related internship after your second year.  

Having some clerking or internship experience can edge out a lot of competitors after you graduate.  BTW - I have family obligations that kept me from interning during the summer.  I did however pass the patent bar after my second year.

After all is said and done, if you want the job and are willing to work hard (and move if necessary), you'll get it.  Take me for example.  I would have had no chance competing for a job against you, but here I am.

BTW-Law school is ridiculous and has virtually no bearing on what kind of attorney you will be.

IP Logged
plex

« Reply #6 on: Dec 15th, 2007, 7:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Could anyone give some good examples of ways one can display personality and motivation during an interview? I tend to tense up as it is my first time attempting to get a law related job rather than an engineering position, which I know is not a good. Any advice?

I think the posts made before are very good as well for getting an interview, it is not impossible at all to get an interview if you have the right undergrad background and some relevant work experience of some sort. If you are really interested in it, at least make a good effort at it before deciding to give up on it.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2007, 7:36pm by plex » IP Logged
IPisGold
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16th, 2007, 12:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Walk into the interview with the mind set that you don't care what happens. Pretend that you have a million bucks in your bank account to fall back on, and whether you get this job is just icing on the cake. This will tend to alleviate the nervousness, which will communicate to the interviewer that you are honest, confident, and you have shown him all your cards.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »