The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 30th, 2020, 11:53am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Salary for first-year associate at boutique IP?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Salary for first-year associate at boutique IP?  (Read 2874 times)
TheDude9101
Salary for first-year associate at boutique IP?
« on: Nov 24th, 2007, 1:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi all,

Seeking some salary advice from the forum.  I'm looking at taking a job as a first-year associate for a boutique ( >15 lawyers) IP/patent prosecution firm.  They only deal with corporate clients and have some big name customers, especially in medical/communications stuff.  This is in NYC.

I graduate in the spring.  My grades are top 25 at a top tier 2 school, on journal, passed the PTO exam while in law school, qualified via category B.  (My B.S. is in an oddball field but included sufficient lab/chemistry time)

I've found lots of salary advice, but it either focuses on a) starting patent agents or b ) big firm patent associate salaries, neither of which is germane to my situation.  What should I expect as a starting salary considering these variables?
IP Logged
pentazole

Re: Salary for first-year associate at boutique IP
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25th, 2007, 4:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

from the boutiques I know people in, anywhere from 95 - 135K for a first year associate level.  Even though you may be a registered patent attorney by the time you start, if you have no experience, you may be placed at a technical advisor salary until you gain experience.  That can be between 60-90K.  Some firms do that, others don't.
IP Logged
BotchedExperiment

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 27th, 2007, 9:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

general firm with about 12 patent attys in intermountain west.  new associates start at about 120K/year--1800 billable hour requirement.
IP Logged

Repeating experiments since 1998.
TheDude9101
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 3:15pm »

thank you for your responses, they are helpful and consistent with what i would have expected.
IP Logged
IPHopeful1352
« Reply #4 on: Dec 1st, 2007, 3:46pm »

TheDude,
Congrats on your offer!  If you don't mind, however, I had a few questions to ask you.

I was always under the impression (from the recent WSJ article and other sources) that unless you obtain an offer from BIGLAW or something similar, first year lawyers can only expect between 40-60k/year (or less!).  However, this thread seems to contradict this fact and I was just wondering if the situation was significantly different for patent attorneys.  Do patent boutiques with less than 20 attorneys really pay their first years over 100k??

Here are some specifics on my situation.  I will soon have a B.S.E.E. from a top-20 "brand-name" school.  My gpa, however, is quite low (around a 3.3) and the law schools I am deciding between (and was up until recently considering not going at all) include the University of Houston, Tulane, Santa Clara and Benjamin Cardozo.  

Any thoughts on your opinions on the job prospects for patent attorneys coming out of T2 schools would be greatly appreciated!  Do boutiques really pay that well for patent attorneys (I can't imagine general practices with less than 20 attorneys paying anywhere close to 100k...)

Thanks in advance!!!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »