The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 24th, 2019, 7:40am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   PhD looking for job in IP law firms
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: PhD looking for job in IP law firms  (Read 3226 times)
j
PhD looking for job in IP law firms
« on: Oct 25th, 2007, 3:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi-  
i am finishing up my PhD in Environmental Chemistry. I have BS in Chemical Enginnering. I just started looking around and have a few questions. If any one can help me out, i would appreciate it!!  

1. What is the differnce between patent agent/ patent attorney/ paralegal?  

2. I am interested in scientific/technical advisor positions at IP law firms. Some firms hire ppl for those positions and support for law schools as well. I have been having hard time getting the list of the firms which has such programs... Any information  

3. what is the best way to get an interview? I have been sending resume but no replies so far.... so frustrating....  

Thanks in advance!!!!
IP Logged
Fred Kline
Re: PhD looking for job in IP law firms
« Reply #1 on: Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Why would anyone want to hire you? PhDs are a dime a dozen! Seriously, a PhD is like saying 'I worked at Block-buster video'. Your main problem is that you've been brain-washed by a bunch of faculty into thinking that a scrap of paper is worthwhile. It's JUST  a piece of paper! It doesnt mean ANYTHING! I've had to explain this to many people, but they just don't get it! They're sitting there unemployed, thinking they're special because they have this scrap of paper with the letters PhD on it! It really reminds me of Golem in the Lord of the Rings.  

You're not even in a biotech or drug area! I highly suggest you go to law school if you want to pursure an IP career.  

A PhD will hurt your resume more than it will help. I suggest you drop out before you ruin your future marketability.
IP Logged
plex

« Reply #2 on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 12:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

While the original poster is likely not around anymore, the above reply is untrue. I am sure the original poster has found out some of his questions by now as they are fairly simple.
IP Logged
Dr. Talk

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10th, 2007, 8:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Dec 2nd, 2007, 10:51pm, Fred Kline wrote:
Why would anyone want to hire you? PhDs are a dime a dozen! Seriously, a PhD is like saying 'I worked at Block-buster video'. Your main problem is that you've been brain-washed by a bunch of faculty into thinking that a scrap of paper is worthwhile. It's JUST  a piece of paper! It doesnt mean ANYTHING! I've had to explain this to many people, but they just don't get it! They're sitting there unemployed, thinking they're special because they have this scrap of paper with the letters PhD on it! It really reminds me of Golem in the Lord of the Rings.  

You're not even in a biotech or drug area! I highly suggest you go to law school if you want to pursure an IP career.  

A PhD will hurt your resume more than it will help. I suggest you drop out before you ruin your future marketability.

If there's one piece of paper that is worth a dime, its that sheet that says Juris Doctor on it.  Talk about someone sitting in a classroom being brainwashed!  At least the PhD studies a science!  

Go to law school and get your JD.  Then stand in line behind the thousands of other JD's wondering why an undergraduate degree and a 3-year law degree is pretty much useless for firms looking for technical expertise.
IP Logged

Standard disclaimer:
This is just my opinion. No actual facts were used in the forming of this opinion. I reserve the right to change my mind without notice. Your mileage may vary. Do not stand f
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »