The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 7th, 2019, 2:20pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Salary expectations for a patent agent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Salary expectations for a patent agent  (Read 3111 times)
guest654
Salary expectations for a patent agent
« on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 11:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am a patent agent, with a PhD in EE, 2+ years of prosecution experience, and 3 years of engineering experience.  

I am planning to change my job and join a firm in the west coast.  Can someone give me an idea of the salary range I can expect with my experience? My current compensation is about 85K+benefits.

Thanks
IP Logged
pentazole

Re: Salary expectations for a patent agent
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

At least at my workplace, about 10% less on an hourly basis than an attorney of the same experience level.  If the firm has the same hour requirements from attorneys and agents, then your salary should be around 10-15% less than an attorney's.  If the firm has different hourly requirements from agents and attorneys, figure it out based on the hourly rate of the attorney.
IP Logged
unfortunate_patent_agent
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24th, 2007, 10:49am »

In our firm, a new attorney gets around 120K, whereas a new patent agent (or even someone with 2 years experience) gets about 80K.  Am I (a patent agent) being deprived of my fair compensation amount?
IP Logged
pentazole

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24th, 2007, 12:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What you consider fair is opinion based, which is why it never hurts to shop around and see if you have better opportunities elsewhere.
IP Logged
AD
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 1:03pm »

Can we do a voluntary survey here regarding the salary of a patent agent.  May be we refrain from mentioning the firm name (or our real name) and specific details to maintain privacy.  

I will be the first to contribute to the survey.  A Masters degree in EE with 2 years of patent prosecution experience, based in a West coast mid sized law firm. My salary range is between 80-85K.

I hope this would give the agents a general idea of salary expectations during performance reviews or while changing jobs.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »