The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 11th, 2019, 3:07pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Future prospects of a patent agent
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Future prospects of a patent agent  (Read 1244 times)
gp990
Future prospects of a patent agent
« on: Oct 18th, 2007, 1:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am a patent agent with 2+ years of experience.  All the patent agents I personally know are already enrolled in law school or planning to do so.

Do most of the patent agents eventually end up in a law school? I understand that a law degree increases the marketability and salary, but isn't there any future of an experienced patent agent? Does the gap in a patent agent / attorney salary reduce with experience?

Any thoughts? Thanks!
IP Logged
SoCalAttny
Re: Future prospects of a patent agent
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 8:31pm »

I would be surprised to find an attorney and an agent at firm x with no gap in salary after 5 years.

On the contrary, the attorney should be 30-40% higher with salary and bonuses.

Why do you think all of the agents you know are either in or on the way to law school.
IP Logged
gp990
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 3:38pm »

How much would an agent with EE background earn after, say, 10-15 years of prosecution experience?
IP Logged
pentazole

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 8:45am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

In a law firm environment, the discrepency in the salary gap will only be apparent in the beginning between an agent and a lawyer.  Because as you progress, you make as much money as you are efficient, and even though your base salary may be lower, if you are willing to put in the hours, you will make the money.

But as an agent working at a law firm, if you want to take your career as far as you can, then you have to go to lawschool to remove the hindrance that U.S. law places upon you for not being an attorney working in a field where patentability and other technical opinions are considered legal advice, etc.  I know a few agents who do not care to go to lawschool whatsoever.  They make very good money, but do not have any ambition to work past their hourly requirement, and don't care to become partner or what not.  They care about going home by 5 or 6 every day and spending time with their family.

I also know agents who are going to lawschool now in their late 30's and early 40s.  They're more interested in business development, profit sharing, being more visible, etc. etc.

It just depends what you want to do with your career.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »