The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 13th, 2019, 11:09am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent agent in paralegal category?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent agent in paralegal category?  (Read 2702 times)
Desparado
Re: Patent agent in paralegal category?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23rd, 2007, 9:06am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

For patent agents everywhere, tell that firm to kiss off.
But, if you need the job ... you gotta do what you gotta do. Here's one more thought I'm not seeing on previous responses, with which previous responses I generally agree and concur.

The staff won't accept you as staff no matter what the law firm bosses call you.

If you'r lumped as staff in a GP firm ... your colleagues will be the other agents, which makes sense ... but you won't know which functions, if any, to attend.  At least the non-IP attorneys will look down on you and question your presence (perhaps even expressly and personally and vigorously ... as in, in your face you lackey scum) at attorney functions.  At least your secretary and other staff members from whom you will need help will be made uncomfortable by your presence at staff functions. So you just won't belong anywhere. I'm living this now. Arrogant young undereducated non-IP associates condescend on me and attempt to provide career counselling at attorney functions. Staff members whisper and point when I walk into staff functions. It's depressing and alienating.  

Like I said, tell that firm to shove it.

But if you need the job ... then do what we all would. But keep your resume fresh and your ear to the ground for your next gig. Because if you're staff ... the staff ain't gonna do your bidding friend. How are you going to mail a simple reporting letter to a client without the staff doing your bidding? How are you going to record your time as billable when you're just assembling files and doing things your secretary ignores with impunity? You ain't gonna make it long friend ... a year or two ... til your docket builds up and becomes a juggling nightmare.

You're not over-reacting!

But who needs satisfaction (beyond financial) at work anyway?

Akoona-mattata!

Good Luck Friend!

P.S. Call those patent agents already employed with the firm and ask how things are going for them! Do it outside of any interview format so the firm is unaware of the contact.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

Re: Patent agent in paralegal category?
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23rd, 2007, 9:22am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

"But who needs satisfaction (beyond financial) at work anyway?"

Many people seek satisfaction (beyond financial) at work, and most of them are disappointed about how that works out.

"Akoona-mattata! "

Altoona, Pennsylvania!
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »