The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 16th, 2019, 2:02am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   IT Consulting Vs. Law
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: IT Consulting Vs. Law  (Read 1229 times)
igbojuju
IT Consulting Vs. Law
« on: Sep 13th, 2007, 9:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Howdy folks.

I need some advice. I知 about 25 making 70k, working really long hrs, with a big IT consulting firm. I have an engineering degree EE from top 10 school. I知 thinking about law school, in particular, patent law because I have a very strong entrepreneurial  passion. No, I don稚 want to be the guy inventing stuff, I just like to know how stuff works in general.

I知 not crazy about engineering, consulting or even law either, so I don稚 mind doing em.

My concerns:
-I値l prob get into tier 1 or 2 school, so will the risk/reward be worth it?
-anyone have similar experience?
-I知 pretty confident I値l find a job so I知 curious what starting salaries are for IP lawyers
-In the 3 yrs invested in law school I値l prob be making 80-85K, should I stay with my current company. Should I risk it?

Honestly I used to think engineers were cool, so I became one. Now I think lawyers are cool and I知 prob going to become one, so there痴 no deep passion here.  
I just tend to work really hard for things I want.

Awaiting some great feedback/comments.
IP Logged
Bill Richards

WWW Email

Re: IT Consulting Vs. Law
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 4:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Find out what you like to do and figure out a way to make money at it.  Life's too short.  IMHO, you're asking the wrong questions.
IP Logged

William B. Richards, P.E.
The Richards Law Firm
Patents, Trademarks, and Copyrights
614/939-1488
biopico

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 7:32pm »

Don't be afraid of making mistakes on your choice.  Try hard and work hard and enjoy whatever you do!

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
MattB

mbycer   MBycer
Email

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16th, 2007, 4:56pm »

Hi igbojuju,

I suppose I was in a similar spot.  After college I took a job IT consulting (BigTime) for a few years, made a lot of money, but found I did not like my job, the politics and the uncertainty that comes with consulting from client to client.  I always had an entrepreneurial passion and decided that since I had very few good ideas of my own, I would make myself into a person that could help others who had the good ideas.  Another reason I went ot law school is because I wanted to be involved in start-ups and did not like the prospect of being beholden and having to work with lawyers.  I went to law school (JD/MBA), passed the patent bar and now work at a patent law firm.

Some advice:
Sorry to say, but law school is hard and few graduate magna cum laude.  Getting a law job can be stressful, and your job will be stressful.  
The power along with your degree/education is almost immeasurable, so if you would go to law school to empower you entrepreneurial exploits, I think this is a good idea.
Most advised me to just spend the 100K and 3 years trying out new business ventures and learning this way, plus I would have a chance to succeed in the mean time.
There is a good chance you will be compensated less and work harder after law school for a place you may not like, keep this in mind.

In all, improve yourself, follow your dreams.  If these two don't seem to coalesce, choose the first.  Have fun in school, you'll meet all sorts of people, some you like, others..., but very few engineers.

MattB
IP Logged

Matthew L. Bycer
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.bycer.com
http://www.cvglaw.com
mattyb38

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2007, 5:07pm »

I definitely echo the sentiments of my peers on this one.  Law school is full of many different people and as a third year, I can say you will likely be one of the few that has taken a math class higher than calculus 1.   But one thing to consider is the competition you'll find at the lower tiers, it gets downright cutthroat.  There is no teamwork and everyone looks to get an edge on one another.  If you're going to go and only get in a lower tier, find one with a night program, the curve is lighter and professors are less cruel.  It will also give you a taste of the law before diving in head first.  I'm not knocking my school by the way, I have learned more than other students at local schools, but its the reality when you do not have the prestige of a top 100 school behind you.  Remember as with all endeavors, in order to do well in law school you have to be interested in what you are learning and have a passion for it.  Trying to take certain law classes is hard enough when you do like it!   Tongue
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »