The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 26th, 2019, 1:48am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Oliff & Berridge
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oliff & Berridge  (Read 26985 times)
caution
Re: Oliff & Berridge
« Reply #10 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 10:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I might also add that most patent firms probably have at least one person that reads these forums.  You might want to be a little more cautious with what you say around here.  It's pretty easy to out yourself.
IP Logged
cautiousaswell
« Reply #11 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 1:53pm »

thanks for the warning, but I am really just doing my due diligence.

I would think it is natural for someone to ask around about a firm if there is not much info on the firm.

I don't think they would take any offense to it. I have not really said anything negative about them. But thank for the warning.
IP Logged
jbd
« Reply #12 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 2:00pm »

got the interview through a recruiter. O&B is aggressively hiring right now since they have just gotten a ton of work.

From what I have heard, the hard part with them is getting the interview. Once you have gotten the interview and met with them, you have an excellent chance as opposed to say a 50/50 chance at other places.

I am not saying I am guaranteed to get a job with them. However, I feel really confident that I meshed well with the partner I spoke to and am very confident that I will get an offer because I feel this firm is a really good fit for me given my background. These are the two strongest factors in my favor.

There was not much info on the web on this firm other than one other sight. This is why I asked questions on salary and worklife and training and etc. This info is usually available online.  

That being said, I fell very confident that at this point in my career, this would be the right place to start. Hope this helps.  

I think O&B is a great place to get great training on patent prosecution.
IP Logged
ray.nyls
« Reply #13 on: Jan 1st, 2008, 10:28pm »

jbd, thanks for the info.  i'm a feb 2007 grad, passed the july ny bar, and taking the patent bar in couple of days.  what i've been finding so far is that recruiters generally do lateral placements only, and won't really bother with fresh grads; and most firms are reluctant to talk unless you're from top school or top rank... (although i have not been doing serious searching with firms yet because i'm told better to hold that up until registered)

i guess i will hope for better results once i have the patent bar under my belt, and thanks for the info re, the firm you're pursuing.

congrats on getting having successful interview
IP Logged
JD
« Reply #14 on: Jan 3rd, 2008, 7:46am »

jbd,

would prefer not to say where i am right now.  

O&B has a system in place to ensure the consistency and quality of their work product.  you will learn it.  they believe that they can train anybody to do the work the O&B way.  they're not always right, but they do try.

and they are one of the few firms that will hire recent law school grads because of their training regimen.  they are not one of these silly firms that's interested in what "tier" your law school was.  (i've met plenty of people who went to "tier 1" law schools who couldn't draft a credible traversal of a rejection that is pure hindsight reconstruction to save their lives.)

they will teach you what you need to know to practice law (e.g. how to utilize the support staff to maximize your efficiency, how to correspond with clients in a timely and effective manner, how to manage a large prosecution docket, how to bill your time).  things that no law school, no matter what "tier" it is, will teach you.

but like i said, if you have aspirations of ever developing your own clients, get a year and a half to two years of training and move on.

hope that helps.

jd
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »