The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2019, 9:55am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Big, general practice firm vs medium sized firm
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Big, general practice firm vs medium sized firm  (Read 1141 times)
Guest345
Big, general practice firm vs medium sized firm
« on: Oct 10th, 2007, 6:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am a patent agent, with electrical engg. background and 2 years of prosecution experience.

I am planning to change my job and have two tentative offers.  

One is from a general law firm with about 200+ attorneys, out of which about 20 are involved in IP stuff. Other lawers practice other areas of law.

The second firm focuses solely on patent prosecution and has around 15 lawyers.

I haven't talked about compensation with any of the firms.  Before doing so, can someone please advise me on which firm (big, general practice firm vs medium sized IP focused firm), in general, may provide a better work environment?

Thanks a bunch!
IP Logged
PA
Re: Big, general practice firm vs medium sized fir
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 8:30pm »

It's impossible to say in generalities.  I've seen good and bad for large GP firms as well as smaller, IP focused firms.

That said, regardless of firm size, I think it's important that you feel comfortable with the people you work for and work with.  It's also important that the firm does the kind of work that you want to do.
IP Logged
Guest 345
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 11:59am »

Thanks for the reply. But given that the focus of a large GP firm is usually not IP, do the IP guys get a step motherly behavior?
IP Logged
MattB

mbycer   MBycer
Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 12:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Now, I must preface that I work at a small firm, but I interviewed and have friends in big GPs doing IP.

The IP department is usually separate, it has its own partners and there is little co-mingling with real lawyers.  You guys pull in consistent big bucks, so there is strong job security, but you don't get the big hype and kudos for settling a $200M wrongful death suit.

My impression was that the GPs know they have an IP practice and can rattle off names (of IP partners), but that's about it.

Enjoy!
IP Logged

Matthew L. Bycer
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.bycer.com
http://www.cvglaw.com
PA
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11th, 2007, 12:29pm »

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.  GP firms by definition usually don't have a focus, right?  So I'm not sure why the IP guys would be singled out for "step motherly behavior."

In my experience with GP firms, the core business isn't any particular practice, but rather profitability.  If a particular practice isn't pulling their weight in profits per partner, then that practice can be in trouble.  Of course, this also varies from firm to firm.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »