The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 7th, 2019, 6:50am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Agent with only BS?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Agent with only BS?  (Read 1891 times)
Brian McCarthy
Patent Agent with only BS?
« on: Oct 4th, 2007, 4:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Is it possible to find a job as a patent agent with only a BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology? I am a PhD dropout, have 2 years under my belt, MS was not an option when leaving.  

Also, if you become a registered patent agent, but can not find a job with a law firm, are there any other options for an agent, other state going private practice?

Thanks
IP Logged
biopico

Re: Patent Agent with only BS?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 6:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I wouldn't say it is impossible, but it would be very tough to get a job.  If you have two years in graduate school, your training could be similar to MS.  You need to emphasize that.

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
SoCalAttny
« Reply #2 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 10:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Join the PTO. They seem to be always adding examiners.
IP Logged
TataBoxInhibitor

« Reply #3 on: Oct 7th, 2007, 7:17pm »

You may want to just apply within  the corporate market.  I think biotech companies might be more wiling to hire a BS agent, though it will also be difficult, just not as tough as a firm.

Regards,
IP Logged
GeneralPatent

« Reply #4 on: Oct 8th, 2007, 12:04pm »

I think it is. I heard a lot of discouraging words when I considered a career change after spending 3 years in laboratory research, and stacking that up against your work towards a Ph.D. I think you'd have more opportunities, particularly with biochem. Where I live, craigslist has a ton of IP opportunities that can't be found on this board, and working at a firm as a technical advisor, or finding a position as an IP assistant, or even finding a biotech company with a strong IP department that would be willing to train you up all sound like they might be options for you. I think most of all, tenacity is what pays off - if it's what you want to do, just keep looking for the right opening. Since my first position at a firm as a technical advisor, I haven't had any trouble finding work (I should be knocking on wood here!) - best of luck to you!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »