The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 28th, 2020, 11:33pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   35yo new lawyer...want to start Purdue EE...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 35yo new lawyer...want to start Purdue EE...  (Read 1992 times)
Boilermaker
Re: 35yo new lawyer...want to start Purdue EE...
« Reply #5 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 1:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi, I recently graduated from Purdue Electrical Engineering. Purdue is a great school, but be prepared to work hard. One problem I would note with your plan is to verify that Purdue actually has a night program for electrical engineering. At the West Lafayette main campus, I am 99% sure they do not. You would need to attend courses in the day, and with labs etc. it would be difficult (to say the least) to work full time as well.

If you are looking to attend a sattelite campus such as IPFW, Purdue Calumet, or IUPUI, then they may have night programs, but be aware that that although you receive a Purdue degree from these places, most prudent employers (engineering or law firms) do not recognize degrees from the satellite campuses with quite the same respect as from the main campus. Nevertheless, if you are able to do this that would be great! Ultimately I believe that the best individuals will make it happen for themselves, regardless of their circumstance if they have the desire. Good luck!
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #6 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 4:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 1st, 2007, 9:58pm, indylaw wrote:

4) Age old question - is EE still condsidered the most marketable engineering degree to get?  What about Biomed?  

Biomed is a great area to be!

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
ChiefJusticeRoberts
« Reply #7 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 10:21pm »

I am an attorney currently doing a second bachelor's degree from a top 25 university in EE. It's very hard. You have multiple labs every week, and you must be good at or develop good math skills. The work load is rigorous. Also, be prepared to deal with bad teachers - many EE and engineering professors are not good at communicating like law school professors. Lastly, be advised that doing an EE part time may take a long time to complete.
IP Logged
interestinginformation
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 6:47pm »

on Oct 1st, 2007, 9:58pm, indylaw wrote:
Hi everyone and thanks for all of the awesome input - I have learned a tremendous amount from just reading all of the posts.  Thanks again!  

I am a 35yo new lawyer, and work in labor/employment and litigation.  I worked during law school for litigators also.  Graduated unremarkably in the middle of the class, from a midwestern school ranked consistently in the 70's. My undergrad degree is not science, but I do have a lot of science coursework, and enjoy it very much.  

I have always wanted to do patent law, for various reasons.  The least of which now is to improve my professional prospects and earning potential. (Note to current or prospective law students: make your grades your absolute FIRST priority during law school rather than pulling all-nighters for your firm - or all-nighters doing other activities which shall remain nameless...)  

At any rate, I have recently been accepted to the undergrad EE program at Purdue.  I am very interested in trying to get the degree in the evenings, while maintaining employment.  I have a gf but that is it as far as family commitments.  

Questions:

1) Job prospects.  What are the prospects for a guy pushing 40, with 4 or 5 years of litigation experience and a newly minted EE from Purdue?  Also, will good grades from the EE degree in any way mitigate the mediocre grades from law school?  What size firm could I reasonably expect to work at?

2) Age.  Is my age a factor?

3) Feasibility.  Is it a reasonable proposition to get an EE degree from Purdue, studying at night, part-time?

and finally,  

4) Age old question - is EE still condsidered the most marketable engineering degree to get?  What about Biomed?  

Thank you very much for your input everyone - it is greatly appreciated - !  

How did you get accepted to an EE program?  Didnt you already go to undergrad?  Is this possible?   How exactly did you do it?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »