The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 20th, 2019, 8:25am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Agent Trainee in Canada
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Agent Trainee in Canada  (Read 1025 times)
Patent_trainee
Patent Agent Trainee in Canada
« on: Sep 25th, 2007, 11:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am looking for opportunities to work as a Patent Agent trainee in Canada. I have about 2 and a half years experience working in the IP field and a masters degree in EE.

Can anyone advise/inform me on any law firms that are known hire Patent Agent Trainees in Canada? Or, any other way, in which I can get in contact with some of these law firms? Also, what is ussually a starting salary for such positions?

Thanks
IP Logged
pentazole

Re: Patent Agent Trainee in Canada
« Reply #1 on: Sep 25th, 2007, 12:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The firms in Canada that I have seen are willing to take on trainees are Ogilvy Renault, Robic, and G. Ronald Bell and associates.  Ogilvy Renault is national, but I think you will need to apply for individual offices.  Make sure their Montreal office is on your list.  Robic is in Montreal only I believe, and GRB is in Ottawa and Nova Scotia.

What do you mean by "working in the IP field"?  Does your work experience qualify you to take the patent agent exam in Canada?  Because you need one year of patent work to qualify for it.  If you qualify, then I suggest registering for the April '08 exam.  If you pass any of the 5 papers they examine you on, it will look favorably on your resume.

Smart and Biggar is the big boutique firm in Canada.  They do IP only.  They also have offices in the major cities.  And Gowling Lafleur Henderson is the largest law firm in Canada (I think), and have a substantial IP practice.  Another firms with a fair size IP practice are Ridout and Maybee.  This isn't a comprehensive list, something to get you started, but through CIPO you should be able to find all registered agents/firms.

Salary wise for a "trainee", don't expect more than 50K, at least not until you pass a few of the patent agent exams.  Basically the exam is 5 (I think 5) papers, you have to pass all 5 to register, but if you pass less than 5 with a certain average, you don't have to repeat those the following year.
« Last Edit: Sep 25th, 2007, 12:59pm by pentazole » IP Logged
Patent_trainee
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 7:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for your response,

By "working in the IP field" i mean I have worked on Patent agent job but I dont have Canadian experience. Most of my exp. has been related to USPTO and EP ... writing responses for prosecution .. preparing/writing patent applications and analysis/search work.

I will start looking into these firms you mentioned. Anyone else has any suggestions/ law firms that I may contact.

Thanks again
IP Logged
Jonathan

« Reply #3 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 5:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sim & McBurney in Toronto is currently looking for patent agent trainees.

http://www.patentlyo.com/jobs/2007/09/patent-agents-a.html

EE, "engineering," math or physics background. I put engineering in quotes as they listed a person with engineering background as someone they would be interested in talking to. Seems kind of general but there you have it.
« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2007, 5:17pm by Jonathan » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »