The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 7th, 2019, 2:10pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   IT Consulting vs Law
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: IT Consulting vs Law  (Read 3475 times)
Good Call
Re: IT Consulting vs Law
« Reply #15 on: Nov 5th, 2007, 12:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Nov 5th, 2007, 11:18am, igbobo wrote:
Good call, Good Call  Grin

I'll probably end up doing a JD/MBA program to virtually keep ALL doors open. By the time I enroll I'll have 4yrs consulting experience, which should count for something outside of IP LAW.

Good call are you in IP? Any other words of wisdom? I've been going to everything I can to make sure I have an accurate view of what life is like in IP

Yeah, I'm in law school right now. Keep in mind the enormous costs of going to law school, on top of that with the cost of getting an MBA also. If you don't land a big paying job in law, then strictly financially speaking, law school is not worth it.  

Law and MBA schools are completely different from one another. Engineering is completely different from law. I thought I would just adapt to the law school environment, "learn to like it" is the kind of mentality I had. This is absolutely not true. If you find after your first year you do not like law school, DO NOT CONTINUE! Law school only opens up jobs in the legal field. Although it is possible to get a job outside of law, it will be extremely tough to do so,  and most of the jobs you would probably be able to get right now due to your engineering degree and 4yrs IT consulting anyways.

Its funny, I'm actually looking to get out of law school right now and into consulting instead. You are doing the exact opposite.  

IP Logged
Interested
« Reply #16 on: Nov 5th, 2007, 1:04pm »

Good Call:

I'm curious to know why you are looking to get out of law.  Is is that you don't enjoy law school?  or you don't think you will enjoy practicing IP?  

I am an engineer considering consulting or IP law as an alternate career...
IP Logged
Good Call
« Reply #17 on: Nov 5th, 2007, 1:15pm »

on Nov 5th, 2007, 1:04pm, Interested wrote:
Good Call:

I'm curious to know why you are looking to get out of law.  Is is that you don't enjoy law school?  or you don't think you will enjoy practicing IP?  

I am an engineer considering consulting or IP law as an alternate career...

I do not enjoy law school, and I don't think I'll enjoy IP either. The problem with IP is that it is a very specific field. Once you practice IP for a few years, it's tough to get out. I'd much rather save my tuition and get into a field I'll like much more right now.  

Being an attorney is about long hours reading, researching, and writing.  It's an ultra competitive field from which my personality does not easily lend itself to. It's not for me, but it may be just perfect for different kinds of people.  
IP Logged
igbobo
« Reply #18 on: Nov 5th, 2007, 2:51pm »

Good Call you're starting to scare me...lol.

What was your Ugrad Major in? Where did you go (if you don't mind). Why did you decide to do Law, specifically IP law? Are you in T1 (1-50) law school?

If you like consulting I can attempt to refer you in, hopefully you can inturn pull me into law school..lol
IP Logged
Good Call
« Reply #19 on: Nov 5th, 2007, 3:09pm »

on Nov 5th, 2007, 2:51pm, igbobo wrote:
Good Call you're starting to scare me...lol.

What was your Ugrad Major in? Where did you go (if you don't mind). Why did you decide to do Law, specifically IP law? Are you in T1 (1-50) law school?

If you like consulting I can attempt to refer you in, hopefully you can inturn pull me into law school..lol

I have an EE degree from a top 10 engineering school as well. I'm not at a T14 school, but I prefer not to mention which school since this is a public board.  

I don't mean to scare you, some people actually enjoy law school. I just want to warn others that law school is not glamorous work. It is long hours reading and having to be prepared for every class. The profession is all about prestige and competition. You lose 3 years of income, and pay a hefty tuition for a career which may or may not be for you.

The bottom line - make sure you leave your current employer on good terms, ensure you have the option to go back to work for them if your first year doesn't go well. Good law school grades involve lots of hard work, a bit of luck (subjective grading), and the ability to work under extreme pressure.  

Good luck to you.

By the way, what is the best way to get into IT consultingHuh?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »