The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 11th, 2019, 1:55pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   IT Consulting vs Law
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: IT Consulting vs Law  (Read 3483 times)
igbobobo
IT Consulting vs Law
« on: Sep 13th, 2007, 9:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Howdy folks.  

I need some advice. I知 about 25 making 70k, working really long hrs, with a big IT consulting firm. I have an engineering degree EE from top 10 school. I知 thinking about law school, in particular, patent law because I have a very strong entrepreneurial  passion. No, I don稚 want to be the guy inventing stuff, I just like to know how stuff works in general.  

I知 not crazy about engineering, consulting or even law either, so I don稚 mind doing em.  

My concerns:  
-I値l prob get into tier 1 or 2 school, so will the risk/reward be worth it?  
-anyone have similar experience?  
-I知 pretty confident I値l find a job so I知 curious what starting salaries are for IP lawyers  
-In the 3 yrs invested in law school I値l prob be making 80-85K, should I stay with my current company. Should I risk it?  

Honestly I used to think engineers were cool, so I became one. Now I think lawyers are cool and I知 prob going to become one, so there痴 no deep passion here.  
I just tend to work really hard for things I want.  

Awaiting some great feedback/comments
IP Logged
ffwcs

Re: IT Consulting vs Law
« Reply #1 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 8:35am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am in the exact same position, only with a MS in biochem degree.  I'm 24 and making 60k in mgmt consulting, and am looking to go back to law school.  I decided to suck it up and go to a school PT instead for 4 years, and if I really do want to do consulting at the end, I am going to stick with that instead.  The JD will just afford me a much higher salary at my firm.  

I would say, the opportunity cost is very high now for you to give up your job and go to law school.  You will lose about 150k per year (lost salary + cost of law school) unless you get a huge scholarship, in which case you will lose 100k a year.    This times 3 years.  PT seems like a very good option for you too.  

Luckily, I live in the DC area, so all of the school here (GULC, GWU, GMU, AU, CU) all offer PT programs, and I'm bound to get into one of them, and am competitive at GULC.  

Depends on where you are, I would explore the PT option.  working and going PT I think will make you look MUCH BETTER than going FT, because if you can pull it off, you will be a stellar student.  

And, I spoke to many of the admissions deans in the aforementioned schools, and they pretty much all claimed that the PTers were among their best students every year, and got their best opportunities, so it certainly doesn't shut you out of anything.
IP Logged
ffwcs

« Reply #2 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 8:36am »

And you will probably need to cut down on your hours.  See what you can negotiate with your boss.  My firm only requires me to have 40 billables per week, so I usually work anywhere between 40-50 hours, leaving me a good amount of time for study.  

IP Logged
igbobo
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14th, 2007, 6:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Oct 6th, 2007, 8:36am, ffwcs wrote:
And you will probably need to cut down on your hours. See what you can negotiate with your boss. My firm only requires me to have 40 billables per week, so I usually work anywhere between 40-50 hours, leaving me a good amount of time for study.

Must be nice. I currently work 50-70hrs/wk and travel 100% so pt with the same company will not be an option. I'll have to get another job or just do FT at school.
IP Logged
ffwcs

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2007, 8:00pm »

That may not be a bad plan. build up your experience in consulting with your current firm, and lateral to another consulting firm which is more of a lifestyle firm, like mine. Please feel free to contact me, sending me a PM if you want.

I really believe that going to school FT would be tough sell, unless you get a top tier school. You would be giving up a pretty good salary, and you could be making less afterwards unless you went to a top school.

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2007, 8:01pm by ffwcs » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »