The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 24th, 2019, 10:45pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Advanced Degrees Required?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Advanced Degrees Required?  (Read 938 times)
Josh Babanto
Advanced Degrees Required?
« on: Sep 12th, 2007, 3:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have a B.S in Biomedical Engineering, but most people are saying that it is useless and that I will need to go back to get a PhD after law school. Is it really true that masters or PhD degrees are required to enter the IP profession?
IP Logged
MattB

mbycer   MBycer
Email

Re: Advanced Degrees Required?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 5:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I tend to disagree with most people who see the job market as an impenetrable hurdle to pass.

You can do just fine with your degree.  Patent Agency requires you to be familiar with or to become familiar with the art(s) in which you work.  You must be able to bring yourself to sound like one ordinarily skilled in the art.

If you think you understand enough and can learn as you go, more power to you.  I've also heard that if your PhD is too specific, this will inhibit your job search.

On the other hand, if you expect law firms to come to you grovelling with money falling out of their pockets, go spend 6 more years, do society some great deed and develop a cure for cancer.
IP Logged

Matthew L. Bycer
Registered Patent Attorney
http://www.bycer.com
http://www.cvglaw.com
patent_type

« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 6:39pm »

A PhD degree is not required.  Hard core bio folks will have more opportunities with a PhD, but I'm talking more the biological stuff--the pharma, the small molecules, the bugs, etc.  Medical device folks, for example, don't need the fud.

So it kinda depends a little bit on how you want to market yourself--the biotech, pharma folks do want fuds, the more engineering folks don't care so much about the fud.  

Just my observations, YMMV.
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12th, 2007, 7:13pm »

on Sep 12th, 2007, 3:05pm, Josh Babanto wrote:
Is it really true that masters or PhD degrees are required to enter the IP profession?

It is not required, but it greatly helps to get the work done, especially in biotech area.  

When you have your patentable subject matter, would you want someone with BS to draft your patent application or would you prefer to have someone with PhD draft your patent application when you have to pay for the similar or the same amount of fee?

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
Wiscagent

« Reply #4 on: Sep 13th, 2007, 6:31pm »

"... would you want someone with BS to draft your patent application or would you prefer to have someone with PhD draft your patent application ..."

I would want the best qualified individual.  Unless the PhD research was in the same narrow technology as the invention, the doctorate does not suggest superior qualifications as a patent practitioner.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »