The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 25th, 2019, 9:20pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Toronto, Canda patent law firm jobs?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Toronto, Canda patent law firm jobs?  (Read 1626 times)
PatentXaminer
Toronto, Canda patent law firm jobs?
« on: Sep 4th, 2007, 5:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi:

A little about my background in terms of education and work experience:
I graduated in 2005 with a BS is computer science and right out of college I worked for the USPTO as a patent Examiner for about 2 years. Around the 2 year mark, I quit the USPTO to work for a small law firm doing prosecution work (responding to Office Actions) and a some litigation work for about 5 months.

Question I would like informaiton on:
1. How marektable am I in terms of finding a job at a Canadian law firm in Toronto?
2. Where can I find job postings in Toronto, Canada for people with some US patent prosecution experience?
3. What would I need to do to enhance my marketability in finding an employment opportunity in Toronto, Canada?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
IP Logged
LJP

Re: Toronto, Canda patent law firm jobs?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 7:12am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Try this link.
http://napoleon.ic.gc.ca/cipo/AgentDB.nsf/v_PatentByProvOntarioEng?openv iew&count=1000
It lists registered patent agents and firms in Ontario.  

Google the firm/agent names for firm web sites. This should be a good place to start.

Or click on  
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/cipo/patents/pt_main-e.html and select agent list if above doesn't work.
« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2007, 7:13am by LJP » IP Logged
pentazole

« Reply #2 on: Sep 7th, 2007, 9:23am »

You have the credentials for it so you shouldn't have trouble finding work.  The big IP firms in Canada are Smart and Biggar, which is the largest boutique firm I believe, ROBIC in Montreal is another boutique firm, then there's Gowlings Lafleur Henderson and Ogilvy Renault which are the two big GP firms with a substantial IP practice.  There's a small firm in Ottawa called G Ronald Bell and associates, which is a patent agency, which means there are no lawyers there (different laws than US), and it's known as a good place for patent agents to get their start, but you already know your stuff.

There's two recruiting agencies which I recommend that you get in touch with, Robert Half Legal (roberthalflegal.com, you want to get in touch with their Ontario offices), and ZSA (zsa.ca).  They are always very savvy on which firms need agents.

To qualify as a patent agent in Canada, you have to pass a written test, which is offered only once a year in April, and has a 15% pass rate.  I believe the tests consists of 5 sections, and even if you don't pass all 5, if you score above a certain percentage on a section, you don't have to take that specific section again.

My information comes from me being Canadian and doing the whole job search there before hopping over to the US, but I can't guarantee the accuracy so please do your own research.  I did get offered a position in Otario, but I got a counteroffer where I am now in the US 3 days before I started, so I came here.

Good luck.
IP Logged
aspin
« Reply #3 on: Sep 25th, 2007, 3:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

looking for a patent agent slash lawyer
email me at aspin at hotmail dot com
IP Logged
larkas

« Reply #4 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 8:59pm »

PatentXaminer,

You might want to check out this job posting on Patently-O if you are still looking:

http://www.patentlyo.com/jobs/2007/09/patent-agents-a.html#more
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »