The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 25th, 2020, 7:31pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Usefulness of IP experience
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Usefulness of IP experience  (Read 1164 times)
luke.d
Usefulness of IP experience
« on: Aug 30th, 2007, 11:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Iím nearly complete by undergrad in engineering and so far Iíve accumulated about 1 to 2 years experience in patent prosecution.  
Out of curiosity, if I were to return to more typical engineering work, how useful would my IP experience be in that sort of job setting? Would I have been better off spending my summers working in an engineering firm as opposed to a law firm? Or will my experience with patents actually give me leverage when applying for entry level engineering positions?
IP Logged
Patents232
Re: Usefulness of IP experience
« Reply #1 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 12:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Your prosecution experience will most likely be of no use to finding an entry level engineering job.  Managers try to see how your experience will help fit within the description of the position you are applying for.  Prosecution experience is nothing like what working as an engineer is, and consequently will not fit into any entry level engineering experience.

Out of curiosity, why do you want to head back into engineering instead of continuing onto law school?
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #2 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 5:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It surprises me that a firm would hire an undergraduate to prosecute patent applications.  You must be exceptionally capable.  Those of us who were glad to get summer jobs cutting grass or flipping hamburgers, are not competent to provide career advice to a savant.
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
pentazole

« Reply #3 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 9:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Haha word to Wiscagent, I was the burger flippin martini shakin mastah!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »