The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 22nd, 2019, 4:03am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   dropped out after the 1st day!!
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: dropped out after the 1st day!!  (Read 5807 times)
Pill D
Re: dropped out after the 1st day!!
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24th, 2007, 6:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Are those who get pharmacy degrees called Doctors? Also, if you have the time, what exactly to Pharmacists do besides cross check medications that MDs hand out?   Is there anything to it besides being a pill dispenser?  I do not mean to be patronizing in any way.
IP Logged
ks1969

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26th, 2007, 11:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am in a similar situation as you, except that I did go to law school.

I have a B.S in pharmacy and graduated about 11 years ago and went back part time law school while working full time pharmacy (retail).  I thought law school was easier that pharmacy school and I'd graduate cum laude.
I took and passed the Patent bar exam this April and I have been actively looking for a job and haven't got a job yet.  

It's tough to break into the field and it really hurt me that I didn't try to work while a law student.
I think you probably should work a year in pharmacy and try to explore more what it takes (and if you want to be one) to be a patent lawyer.  Pharmacy will give you about $110,000/year for 40 hours a week and really no politics and no one yelling at you.  

But you can try to make yourself more marketable by maybe working at a drug company or reseach facility and studying to take you patent bar exam.  Then when you pass you can become a patent agent and that may allow you to try to get a job in patent law and see if you like the field before investing 3 years in law school.

Its a hard choice but you're lucky to have that option.

IP Logged
doctor too
« Reply #7 on: Aug 26th, 2007, 6:39pm »

I went to pharm school and never got under an A.  I went to a tier 4 law school and failed out first year.   Law school is much harder than Pharm and I went to the number 1 pharm school.
IP Logged
Ugh
« Reply #8 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 7:34am »

on Aug 26th, 2007, 6:39pm, doctor too wrote:
I went to pharm school and never got under an A. I went to a tier 4 law school and failed out first year. Law school is much harder than Pharm and I went to the number 1 pharm school.

Why are you posting nonsense?  Do you think you are protecting your Law Turf?  

Not enough people read this forum to make it worth while to needlessly discourage them with lies.  Why do you bother?
IP Logged
doc pharmacy
« Reply #9 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 4:55pm »

Thanks for all the Advice.

There a lot of job opportunities for pharmacists.  You can work in retail, hospitals, hospice care, nuclear, long term care, mail order, etc.

It's impossible to tell you what a pharmacist does in each field, however, a pharmacist will typically do the following:

look for drug-drug and drug-disease interactions

counsel patients about how to properly administer their medicaitons, about what adverse drug interactions to look out for, etc.

talk to MDs about changing medicaitons to more cost effective and better/more efficient medications

this is by no means a comprehensive list, however, it gives you a good idea about what we do

In addition, all pharmacists who graduate now (with the Pharm D) are considered Dr's.  Despite this, you will never see Dr. SoandSo on a name tag or anthing because most pharmacists are not that vein.

Another thing that weighed on my mind is that me and my wife have lived in Pittsburgh all our lives and I don't know if we really want to move.  I did not think this was a great city for patent lawyers.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« No topic | Next topic »