The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 30th, 2020, 11:31am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   College Major and Patent Law
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: College Major and Patent Law  (Read 2727 times)
patent_type

Re: College Major and Patent Law
« Reply #5 on: Sep 1st, 2007, 10:51am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Well, nobody answered your question, did they?

EE is "hot" and has been for 6-8+ years.  Don't need an advanced degree.

Biotech/Biomed is "hot," with little slowdown on the near horizon.  A PhD is not essential, but trying to get hired as a bio-type without a PhD is hard.

Computer Science is not "hot," but is warmer than, say, civil engineering.  No advanced degree needed.  But there are a ton of CS types.

What's not?  Food technology, botany, marine technology, textile technology, aeronautical engineering, agricultural engineering, ceramic engineering, civil engineering, engineering physics, general engineering, geological engineering, indistrial enginereing, metallurgical engineering, mining engineering, nuclear engineering, petroleum engineering (from the list of "acceptable" majors in the General Requirements Bulletin at the Patent Office website (it won't let me post the link here)).  But folks with those degrees can still get a patent job.

No particular degree will guarantee an associate job right out of law school, but EE comes closest.

All from my experience--YMMV.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #6 on: Sep 1st, 2007, 4:06pm »

Patenttype, if

J(t)  = number of jobs expected to be available in technology (t) during the next 12 months, and

A(t) = number of qualified applicants seeking a job in technology (t) during the next 12 months.

Then does degree of hotness
  =  J(t) - A(t)? or  
  =  J(t)/A(T)?

Or is there some other formula?  How do you figure out parameters for geography, experience, training and subspecialty?  Where do you get your data?

- Rich

“For every difficult question there is a simple, direct answer.  Unfortunately, that answer may not be correct.”
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
patent_type

« Reply #7 on: Sep 1st, 2007, 4:24pm »

on Sep 1st, 2007, 4:06pm, Wiscagent wrote:
Where do you get your data?

To repeat--All from my experience--YMMV.

But since you insist on knowing the basis of my experience, it comes from being intimately involved in identifying needs and hiring patent attorneys at law firm and corporate IP practices over the last six to eight years, and from studying the job market, advertising, and talking to hiring folks at law firm and corporate IP departments, as well as various headhunters (blech!), during my own personal searches for patent attorney jobs for myself over the last 10-15+ years.

I never treated it as a rigid formulaic exercise.

But that's just my experience.  Like I said, YMMV.

Please let us know your opinion--regardless of whether you use a formula--about the questions that were asked.  

When was the last time *you* saw an ad for a patent attorney with an undergraduate degree in nuclear engineering or marine technology?   ;)
IP Logged
Agent_Smiley

« Reply #8 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 10:47am »

I have a BS in Microbiology and have had the hardest time finding a job as an agent. In my search, I found that it is indeed true that those with EE degrees stand the highest chance for employment, followed by Computer Engineering degrees. Unfortunately, if you hold a degree in a life science, you'll have to go all the way to PhD to become employable.  

Just my experience in the cold hard market.
IP Logged
JIPPM

« Reply #9 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 11:42am »

Any certain cities 'hot' for a particular major?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »