The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 4th, 2020, 11:27pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   First year associate job
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: First year associate job  (Read 1083 times)
Brian Epstein
First year associate job
« on: Aug 22nd, 2007, 1:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've found that looking for my first patent law job has been much more difficult that I had expected.  I am looking in the D.C. area and went to school at a decent school and lawschool with good grades.  Does anyone have any suggestions for this mechanical engineering educated person?
IP Logged
Brian Epstein
Re: First year associate job
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22nd, 2007, 1:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I forgot to add a few details to my original post.  I graduated from a top 25 engineering school and graduated cum laude from a tier 2 public law school.  If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
IP Logged
Jack_2007

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24th, 2007, 2:18pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Em, Do you have engineering work experience? Education does not count too much when you have no working experience. With 1-2 years working as an engineer, you will be hot in the IP and find an associate position. Otherwise, keep on looking. Do you realize how much they are going to pay you as first year associate? It is a lot of money, so, be patient.
IP Logged
patent_type

« Reply #3 on: Sep 1st, 2007, 10:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Join the DC area IP law associations.  Attend the meetings.  Check if there is a website or a newsletter with positions listed.  

Use your law school placement office resources--not always very helpful, but worth a shot.

Do *not* rule out the smaller shops--these can be good stepping stones to larger gigs, if that is your interest, or great places to work in their own right.  And they may be more likely to hire a newbie without connections.

Call (yes cold call) senior patent partners at firms in which you have interest--especially those who went to the same law school or with whom you can establish some kind of connection.

Network, network, network (cliche, but appropros).
« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2007, 11:07am by patent_type » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »