The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 16th, 2020, 3:32pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Patent Lawyer at a Startup?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Patent Lawyer at a Startup?  (Read 798 times)
vnayini

Patent Lawyer at a Startup?
« on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I am an undergraduate student studying materials engineering. I have been interested in the possibility of pursuing a career in patent law, but also think it would be very exciting to be involved with a startup company. It's still early for me to commit myself to a specific career path and I am keeping all my options open, but when i imagine a place that would be intellectual stimulating for me and a career that really gets me excited for the future, it would be one that involved working very closely with a company that's just getting its foot in the door.

I was wondering what kind of opportunities are available to patent attorneys who, rather than pursueing a more traditional route of working for a law firm or as an in-house attorney for a medium-large size company, would like to serve as an in house attorney to a startup biotech company for example.

Do startups generally look to outsource their patent business to law firms?

How would the nature of your work be different?

Am I right to make the assumption that such a lawyer could find themselves more heavily involved in other facets of the company's business and law-related issues?

Is anyone on this forum pursuing such a career?

Thanks.
IP Logged
TataBoxInhibitor

Re: Patent Lawyer at a Startup?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 3rd, 2007, 11:42am »

You are absolutely correct.   I was involved in that environment for some time.  Expect involvement in all aspects of the start up, including management, operations etc. You really need to be able to hit the ground running.  It is not a place that fosters the growth and development of patent drafting etc.

Regards,

IP Logged
IP4me

Re: Patent Lawyer at a Startup?
« Reply #2 on: Aug 10th, 2007, 1:49am »

It really depends.  Will you be doing stuff other than patent work? Probably. Will you get good patent experience? If the company is IP focused, you probably will.  Some startups have dozens of filed patent and are looking to file many more.  Handling their docket will give you good experience.
IP Logged

J. Watts
Patent Agent
Patent Professionals LLC
Affordable Patent Agents and Attorneys
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »