The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 11th, 2020, 11:06am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Salary Ceiling/Hours Worked
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Salary Ceiling/Hours Worked  (Read 4743 times)
ucb
Re: Salary Ceiling/Hours Worked
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 6:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thanks for the insight, Mr. Snuggles. That was exactly what I was looking for.

Now on to my other question: how much could I expect to make if I made partner at a medium sized law firm?  

Their initial offer to me (keep in mind that I haven't even started law school) is $100K. I've also been led to believe that once I passed the bar my income would be somewhere around $200K. I have to think that becoming a partner would make this jump another $1-200K. Am I way off here?
IP Logged
MrSnuggles

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21st, 2007, 6:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Partnership income depends on many factors, including geographic location, type of firm, number of partners, partnership structure, etc.

In general, in the Midwest, I would say that mid-six figures is a good estimate with some making more (e.g., in a GP firm or a lit/prosecution firm) and some making less (e.g., solo, junior partner).  For east or west coast, I don't know.  But probably another 200-500k over Midwest firms.

It's a very hard question to answer because (1) most firms don't publish average partner incomes and (2) it so variable, whereas associate salaries follow fairly well-defined trends and structure.
IP Logged
pat_eng
« Reply #7 on: Jul 22nd, 2007, 11:03pm »

I know my ex-boss, partner at a small prep and pros only shop in the midwest, made 250K last year.  I would imaging that amount on the east coast at a midsized firm to be much higher.

He also worked more than 12 hours a day though.
IP Logged
brutalhonesty
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23rd, 2007, 9:29pm »

I would stick with your CS offer: six figures, signing bonus, and 30k in stock options.  You are crazy to throw that away for law school.

Equity partner salaries will blow yours out of the water (some of these guys are making 400-600k a year); however, based on your posts, I really don't think you are the type-a work-a-holic that would become a partner.  No offense intended, just an observation.
IP Logged
Patent Prosecutor

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31st, 2007, 1:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I would also consider what your salary would be at the Fortune 500 company in about five years.  Something seems a bit fishy about the six figure offer from the Fortune 500 company.  I have a feeling that your salary won't go too much beyond that over the years whereas at the law firm your salary will be consistently increasing anywhere from $5-$25K a year. Some firms also let you work part time while in law school and count this time toward seniority.  I know someone (also in Boston) who graduated from law school and started full time at the firm as a 3rd year associate.  That's a lot of cash (~190K) plus the opportunity to make partner in about 4-5 years.  
« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2007, 1:12pm by Patent Prosecutor » IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »