The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 7th, 2019, 7:03am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Help please: Admission to US law schools
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help please: Admission to US law schools  (Read 1318 times)
DavidD

Help please: Admission to US law schools
« on: Jul 20th, 2007, 11:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am a registered patent agent, and planning to attend law school part-time.  Does anybody know whether I could be admitted to any US law school if my undergraduate degree is from a foreign college or university?  

The problem is that I only have ONE copy of my undergraduate school transcripts, and it would be nearly impossible to request for additional copies of school transcrips from a remote country in Asia.    

Does anybody know if US law schools accept certified translations of school transcripts?  

My profile: Registered Patent Agent.  BS, MS, PhD are all from foreign universities (Europe and Asia).    

Thanks,  

David,
IP Logged
vivienleigh

Re: Help please: Admission to US law schools
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 3:53pm »

You can definitely be admitted to law school if you graduated from a foreign college or university, but you'll have to find a way to get your school to send a transcript directly to LSAC.  They won't accept a transcript that you send in yourself.  Go to http://www.lsac.org/LSAC.asp?url=lsac/lsdas-requesting-transcripts.asp for more information.  Good luck!
IP Logged
biopico

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 10:00pm »

You would need to have:

LSAT test score

Proof of English Proficiency

Some law schools require foreign transcripts to be certified and the certifying ageny directly sends the certified transcripts to schools.

Check with the schools that you will be applying to.

IP Logged

Registered Patent Agent Specializing in All Areas of Biotechnology
DavidD

« Reply #3 on: Jul 23rd, 2007, 3:09pm »

Thanks for the input.

David
IP Logged
for_tran
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23rd, 2007, 8:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Law schools accept a transcript forwarded to them by the JD Credential Assembly Service of the Law School Admissions Council.  However, the problem in you case may be that the JD Credential Assembly Service requires the transcript to be sent directly by the foreign university.

Alternatively, check if the JD Credential Assembly Service can accept foreign credit evaulation done by another US Credit Evaulation Agency.  In that case, if the US Credit Evaulation Agency accepts transcript directly from you (as long as it is official original sealed in an envelope I guess!) you can then get it "in the system" and have it forwared to all universities you apply to.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »