The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 11th, 2019, 3:36pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   What is my marketability?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What is my marketability?  (Read 1001 times)
landonew

What is my marketability?
« on: Jul 17th, 2007, 7:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I will be a 2L [in a month or so] at Univesity of Alabama [tier one school] ranked in top 50% of my class.  I recieved a BS in EE from an accredited university in 06, and I have absolutely NO work experiance (hopefully a factor that will be mitigated by my "tender" age of 22).  I didn't recieve an internship this summer, but used the time to prepare for the Patent Bar, which i will take in two weeks.  Assuming I pass the bar, and am willing to work out of state, how difficult will it be for me to find a job?  Would a big firm even consider me, or will i likely have to accept the lower salary offered at the smaller boutique firms?  Anything I can do between now and then better my chances of landing a job (aside from the obviouse answer of improving my less than steller class rank)?  Thanks.
IP Logged
plex

Re: What is my marketability?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 7:50pm »

Network every chance you get, also, the sooner you get some relevant job experience, the better.  Work experience is ultimately the most important thing when searching for job opportunities. Your degree, grades and how you present yourself in an interview help, but they are stepping stones to work experience. Your age won't help, though it likely won't hurt you either, it just means you will be able to begin your career earlier.
« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2007, 7:54pm by plex » IP Logged
JAYC
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 9:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 17th, 2007, 7:50pm, plex wrote:
Network every chance you get, also, the sooner you get some relevant job experience, the better.  Work experience is ultimately the most important thing when searching for job opportunities. Your degree, grades and how you present yourself in an interview help, but they are stepping stones to work experience. Your age won't help, though it likely won't hurt you either, it just means you will be able to begin your career earlier.

Plex,

Work experience is the most important thing when searching for job opportunities?  I always thought that for a fresh 2L, grades were the most important thing, and everything else secondary.  Maybe this view is for all other non-patent fields?
IP Logged
MrSnuggles

« Reply #3 on: Jul 17th, 2007, 11:02pm »

I would agree to a point with Plex.  At my firm there are a few first/second year associates that went straight through from undergrad to law school, but they are in the vast minority.  Most attorneys have between 5 and 10 years of experience as an engineer or appropriate scientist.  If not experience, then they have PhDs or MDs or other advanced schooling.  The few that are younger and have gone straight through are doing fine, but I think in general, our firm leans toward hiring more experienced engineers because that is directly related a large portion of our job.  You still have to be a good legal analyst and writer, but when trying to understand and distill and invention, and then trying to broaden it appropriately, the engineering experience is paramount.

I also agree with Plex that networking is key.  I seem to remember in law school that someone told me that less than 50% of the jobs are posted.  I believe it.  I networked to get my job by playing hockey with a team that included 6 partners, 1 founding parter, an officer, and a bunch of associates.  The founding partner (also the managing partner) asked me out for lunch one day and the next day I had a job.

Focus on your patent bar, that is a great selling point.  

Other things you can do:

- Keep in touch with people you know in local IP firms.  They may be your way in.
- Call up 1-3 year associates for "informational" lunches from the firms in your area of expertise or interest.
- Attend local CLE or regular IP forums or meetings.
IP Logged
landonew

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18th, 2007, 6:57am »

Thanks for the replies.  I will continue to work on networking, but networking with people that are likely to pursue a career in IP is difficult given that only a handful have the technical background necessary to take the bar.  From what i understand, the bar is necessary to prosecute patents, but is not required for litigation.  I would like to litigate at some point.  

Is it benificial to obtain experiance in prosecuting/filing before becoming a litigator, or are they two seperate skill sets that don't really overlap [aka mutually exclusive]?  

Also, I plan to become involved in trial advocacy and possibly moot court.  Would this enhance my resume as far as IP is concerned?  Will the experiance be benificial as a IP litigator?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »