The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 13th, 2019, 6:23pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   part-time and self-employed
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: part-time and self-employed  (Read 622 times)
yalssy

part-time and self-employed
« on: Jul 6th, 2007, 11:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm working at a small biotech company. I was an inventor and used my spare time to study MPEP and passed the patent bar. Actually I don't want my current employer to change my title to an in-house agent. Because my current pay is between an agent and a counselor. And Im at least 5 years away from a JD.  

I'm just wondering,

1. Do I need to establish a small business before I can accept private clients or represent clients other than my current employer?

2. Can I work part-time for a law firm as an agent?

I can't find any regulations regarding part-time and self-employed from MPEP.

Any advice? Thanks a lot in advance!
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2007, 1:31pm by yalssy » IP Logged
pentazole

Re: part-time and self-employed
« Reply #1 on: Jul 6th, 2007, 2:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

1.  Whether you need to or not, I can't be sure, but you should establish a small business for tax purposes.

2.  You may be able to, it all depends on the firm.  If you're exceptional at complicated biotech issues, you may be able to market yourself as some kind of consultant so that if a firm needs help with something, they can get in touch with you.  I honestly don't know anything about the biotech side of patent law.  Biological sciences are my nemesis.

Just keep in mind that if you are going to be independent, your state may require an engagement agreement with a potential client, which most likely needs to be drafted by a lawyer.  And also keep in mind conflicts of interest while working on patents remotely related to anything your company makes.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »