The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 29th, 2020, 1:21pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   patent litigation for patent agent about to get JD
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: patent litigation for patent agent about to get JD  (Read 905 times)
randy jones
patent litigation for patent agent about to get JD
« on: Jul 1st, 2007, 5:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Well, I am about to graduate law school in a few months. My law school is ranked pretty low. But my GPA ranking is pretty high (and I got almost all of law school paid for by scholarships). I have over 2 years of patent agent experience (wrote mostly software apps (I have a BS Computer Science degree)).

When I quit the patent agent job and went into law school, I was thinking about going into some other area of law because it seemed to me at the time that patent law was not doing very well. But now that I am about to graduate, patent law seems booming.

Can I get into litigation? I would rather do patent litigation that patent prosecution! Writing applications does not really take advantage of my strengths.

How can I get into patent litigation?

IP Logged
patentsusa

Re: patent litigation for patent agent about to ge
« Reply #1 on: Jul 1st, 2007, 7:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sure you can, if a patent litigation firm is hiring associates.   Just watch out for firms that pigeon-hole attorneys into one role--if you get placed in prosecution, it will be difficult to switch over because all your experience will qualify you for another prosecution job.

Or if you have no luck with firms that do patent litigation, you can get general litigation experience then switch over to patent litigation.  

It is a good idea to plan your path instead of just falling into whatever job you can get.  You asked a very good question.
IP Logged

Deepak Malhotra, JD, BSEE
Registered Patent Attorney
Malhotra Law Firm
www.patentsusa.com
whiz
« Reply #2 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 7:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I agree with patentsusa.  Apply for jobs as a litigation associate.  Make it *clear* during your interview that you want to practice patent litigation and not prosecution.
IP Logged
MrSnuggles

« Reply #3 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 1:12pm »

You could also apply for a job at a full-service firm and get in the prosecution side first, to then move to the litigation side over time.  Usually, at least at firms my friends are at, you have about 2-3 years to make your final decision/progression.  After that, you typically aren't provided means to go to the "other side."

This makes sense in a way because the two practices are really quite specialized.  I've interacted with a good number of litigators in my time and their understanding of drafting is quite different (but useful in some ways) than my own.
IP Logged
patently_correct

« Reply #4 on: Jul 7th, 2007, 8:57pm »

Contact me and I will see what I can do.  Call me at my office on Monday. (860) 249-7236.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »