The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jan 26th, 2020, 10:36am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Oh dear...bit of help needed please
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oh dear...bit of help needed please  (Read 2203 times)
english

Oh dear...bit of help needed please
« on: Jun 24th, 2007, 8:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I would appreciate some help on the 'what to do next' question.

Background info:

From England (Brit Citizen)

Want a career that I can travel with.

Mums a lawyer, but not the reason why I want to be.

Ex-Computer Science Major - switched to Business - but still into technology.

I just Graduated with a Bachelors of Business Admin w/ double major Economics + Finance and a Minor in History (also going for Economic History.

3.25 GPA (but about 3.8 Average over last 2 years, yeah, I mesed up)

Considering Honors in Economics (I have 2 months to complete it)

Oh - and I went to the University of Alaska Anchorage - It isnt by any means a good school - but i think it shows my sense of adventure and independence to move from England to Alaska.

----- Current Situation -----

23 Years Old

I am currently working to becoming a financial adviser at Wachovia Securities. However, it is rather one dimensional, and I realized my old love of Law is calling.

I don't want to go back to Britain - but given the prevalence 'common law' I think Law would be a good education to attain given my global citizen inclination.

I am very much into technology and would like to pursue I.P. Law especially since the growth of China and India will spur this industry.

I do not, and would really not like, to have to get an engineer/computer science Bachelors since i just got my business....

What can I do? I was thinking of moving from my current residency to San Fransisco. I hoped being a British Citizen and having a diverse background, plus a pretty good academic record, would help me get into a good law school close to the tech-hub of America.

---------------

I am worried about my non-technical past. Also I am finding it hard to decide how to transition from my pursuit of an F.A. position to Law School. I hoped I might work as an F.A. for a while and perhaps gain sponsorship from the company to then become an in house attorney for a while.

Comment, Questions, Advice - all welcome.
« Last Edit: Jun 24th, 2007, 8:44pm by english » IP Logged
english

Re: Oh dear...bit of help needed please
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 4:03am »

What I am rather worried about it my lack of scientific background.  

Also what peoples opinions were as to having international status, and my general ideas for the future.
IP Logged
english

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27th, 2007, 8:26am »

I had a thought today - or rather a friend did - he suggested I do a masters in computer science while i do my JD.  Huh
IP Logged
JAYC
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 8:08am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Your lack of a technical degree/experience will definitely preclude you from entering into patent prosecution.

But, you can still do patent litigation - doesn't require a technical degree.

The first thing you have to go is get into a top 25 law school, and score within the top 25% of your class.  Keep in mind, this is not easy.

Given your GPA, you're going to want to score a 165+ on the LSAT to get into a top 25 school.  Spend about 6 months diligently preparing for the test, take a prep course if needed.

Law school admissions is based about 60% on your LSAT, 35% on your gpa, and 5% on soft factors (anchorage, double major, etc...)

Getting an MS in CS while getting your JD will be nearly impossible to do.  You'll be in school for like 5 years to complete both degrees.  Law school is extremely demanding time wise (more than engineering was), and will take away most of your time in studying for CS.  You can try doing this, but then you run a high risk of not getting in the top 25% in law school, and potentially failing out - which is easy to do in law school.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2007, 8:10am by JAYC » IP Logged
english

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28th, 2007, 4:21pm »

thanks for the advice.

What is the difference between Patent litigation, and Patent Prosecution?

I assume one is setting up of patents the later is enforcing of patents.

As for getting a technical degree - i have found out that my school offer a computer science program. I am not 'officially' graduated while i am doing my honors so i thought I might take a year and complete that degree - then having 3 majors in two main fields. *sigh*

I would really like to avoid taking  a step back.

I could work while I do this at another school. The options seem endless.

I heard that law schools look mainly at your last 2 years or so of school and judge you from that.

I guess I better start studying now for my LSAT.

I am beginning to reconsider this field of law :/ but I really do enjoy technology but I wonder just how technical this side of law is.

thanks for your response

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »