The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Dec 12th, 2019, 7:08am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Part-Time vs. Full-Time Law School
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Part-Time vs. Full-Time Law School  (Read 6710 times)
Isaac

Re: Part-Time vs. Full-Time Law School
« Reply #10 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 8:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 5th, 2007, 7:52am, Mickey72 wrote:
What happens if you miss a class? In other words, is class participation mandatory?

Class attendance was mandatory.  We were allowed a certain number of absences for each class per credit hour.   I cannot recall the number, but you'd easily exceed the limit if you missed one class a week all semester for a 3 credit class.  If you exceeded the limit you were required to document reasons for every missed class.   I'm sure traveling for business was a valid excuse.  

I can only recall one or two people in the class having travel schedules that made them exceed the minimum.   In one case, the student ended up graduating a semester behind the rest of us, so I assume that the student had to drop a class on occasion.

Quote:
If you don't care about grades, 10-15% is not important (as long as you pass the exam - or is it possible to pass the exam without attending classes?).

I wouldn't recommend going to law school if you aren't planning to attend class.   In particular, much of the material in first year law school classes really does require explanation, and the professor often indicates the areas of emphasis in class.  

IP Logged

Isaac
MrSnuggles

« Reply #11 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 9:09am »

In follow-up to Isaac's post, I have two things to add.

First, I believe the ABA sets a minimum number of hours of instruction time for law students to graduate.  (see Standard 304(b)).  To comply with this, many schools take attendance.

Second, I've known of two instances (one being a close friend) at different schools where students would show up for the first day of class, or a few times during the semester, and then for the final.  In both cases, the students received passing grades on their respetive final.  In both cases, the students were reprimanded and in one case, the student was suspended for one semester.  My friend did not get to keep his grade.
IP Logged
bjr
« Reply #12 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 9:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Under the ABA rules you must attend at least 80% of classes.  Some profs take attendance and others don't.  Also, some profs. call on you in class and others don't.    

I am a current part-time student with a rigorous full time job and family committments.  While 3-4 hours of studying per hour of class is recommended, it is not realistic for me.  I studied 12-15 hours per week the first year.  I study in class and two weeks before finals nowadays.
IP Logged
Drew83

« Reply #13 on: Oct 29th, 2007, 7:52am »

I have an opportunity to work for a law firm doing IP work with the intent on going to law school part-time.  The law school would be a Tier 3 or 4 school.    

My other option is to attend a school ranked ~60.  It may not matter that much, but the school has a highly ranked IP program.  

It seems that PT would be the most beneficial towards my career, but I've heard working and going to school PT can be extremely brutal.  I dont have any obligations, so going FT is no problem.    

Any thoughts/comments on these options?  Will having a few years of IP experience with a Tier3/4 degree outweigh having a degree from a higher ranked school having maybe 1-2 summers of internship experience?

Thanks in advance!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »