The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 26th, 2021, 2:51pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Should I drop out of Law School (1L)??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Should I drop out of Law School (1L)??  (Read 2659 times)
SoCalAttny
Re: Should I drop out of Law School (1L)??
« Reply #5 on: Jun 13th, 2007, 10:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Never drop out of anything that you have spent much time evaluating and then deciding to pursue.

You only have to do it once and then for the rest of your life it is done.
IP Logged
JohnDoe
« Reply #6 on: Jun 20th, 2007, 11:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Stick it out.  Yeah, it may be a bit painful, but it's only a few more years.  Your status as an attorney is much more important than what your law school rank was (to a certain degree).  I know of many successful attorneys in my area (Minneapolis) that graduated from T3 and T4 schools that are partners in major firms (faegre, merchant, dorsey, etc).  Sure, some of them are summa or magna grads, but not all of them.

I was told in law school that judges get A's, professors get B's, and attorneys get C's.

Get experience, even during law school if you can, that will help you much more than a 3.5 versus a 3.0.  Not only will you be gaining practical knowledge, but you will be networking and building relationships.

The worst part of law school is the first year.  The second worst part is the bar exam.  Between those two things though, everything is gravy.
IP Logged
jjkob

jjkob

« Reply #7 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 1:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Do you by any chance go to LLS?  

As long as you have a BSEE, I'd recommend sticking it out if you want to do patent prosecution.  Such work is moving to smaller firms, which do not care as much about your law grades as that EE undergrad.

That said, grades weigh heavily in almost all other legal fields (even patent litigation), and even if you improve significantly, it may not do you much good if you're still outside the top quarter or higher from a tier 2 school--I was top 30% all throughout law school, and higher-ups just axe you from the lists even if you interviewed well.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »