The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Aug 4th, 2020, 7:08pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Should I drop out of Law School (1L)??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Should I drop out of Law School (1L)??  (Read 2480 times)
lawstudent
Should I drop out of Law School (1L)??
« on: Jun 6th, 2007, 8:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I am a BSEE from top 10 undergrad, 2 years tech experience at big company, and am a registered Patent Agent.  

However, I go to a T2 school with a decent national reputation but have not pulled the grades I was expecting (below 3.0) for my first year. The school has a lower curve and I think my class rank is at or a bit below 50%. I got 4 interviews at top IP firms at the Chicago-Loyola Patent Fair and have a summer internship.

Due to my low class rank, I don't know if it's worth all of the headaches considering all of those firms want only top 25% from top 20 law schools.

I know it'll probably be worth it in the long run, but I'm extremely unsure of my prospects in the IP field now.  

Any advice is appreciated.
IP Logged
Same Situation
Re: Should I drop out of Law School (1L)??
« Reply #1 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 12:59am »

I'm kind of in the same situation.  First thing you should do is try contacting recent alumni from your school, who are practicing in IP, and tell them your situation.  See what they have to say about breaking into the IP field.  And one big rule for this is do not contact alumns who have either "law review, x laude" next to their names.  These people probably will not know how to break into the IP field since their grades alone are what got them in.  

Another thing you should remember is that you can start small after graduation (PTO, patent search firm), and after a few years you can work yourself into a firm.  The money won't be great right after graduation, but you will eventually get there.

Can anybody else contribute to anything I might have forgot?
IP Logged
dont
« Reply #2 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 9:11am »

dont drop out, try to raise your grades and at least graduate in the top half

you'll find a job after school, dont give up my friend
IP Logged
jrnifong

« Reply #3 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 5:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

About half of the patent attorneys practicing today were in the bottom half of law school rankings.

You won't get a job with a major big time law firm, but there are plenty of other opportunities out there.  Plus the boutique lifestyle is generally considered the better opportunity.  

I have never heard a guy from a boutique firm after 3-5 years saying damn I wish I had went to major mega firm.  I have however heard handfuls of associates from the big firms say they wish they had started at the smaller firms.
IP Logged
Wiscagent

« Reply #4 on: Jun 7th, 2007, 10:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

"About half of the patent attorneys practicing today were in the bottom half of law school rankings."

Where did you get that datum?  
IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »