The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 30th, 2020, 12:20pm

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Starting Salary? Impact of increase?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Starting Salary? Impact of increase?  (Read 5059 times)
SDPatent

Starting Salary? Impact of increase?
« on: Apr 29th, 2007, 6:01pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello!  I'd love to hear from you in response to the following ponderings...Thanks for your contributions.

1.  What would be a reasonable starting salary range for the following candidate:
Ph.D. - top 5 school, chemistry  
Post-Doc experience
3 years of industrial experience
without USPTO reg. #

Looking to start at:
Very large GP firm who needs chemistry expertise in the IP dept.
In major city, southern California area.

I understand that 4 years ago, starting salaries were about $70K and after getting a USPTO reg number, $85K.

2.  What is the impact of 1st year attorneys pay increase to $160k on the lowly patent agent?  Is the agent's pay also increased considering the fact that the two share similar duties.  

IP Logged
florida308

Re: Starting Salary? Impact of increase?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29th, 2007, 8:26pm »

I don't know where first year attorneys make $160k.  Maybe Harvard law review editors who go to New York.  

In Tallahassee the average starting salary is probably between $50-60k
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2007, 8:31pm by florida308 » IP Logged
Isaac

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 8:31am »

on Apr 29th, 2007, 8:26pm, florida308 wrote:
I don't know where first year attorneys make $160k.  Maybe Harvard law review editors who go to New York.  

In Tallahassee the average starting salary is probably between $50-60k

160k is the starting salary for 1st year attorneys at the  large general practice NYC law firms.  That number is for attorneys doing IP and non IP work.   Markets outside of NYC have seen increases to their base salaries, but in most places, salaries lag behind what NYC firms pay.  I don't know how that recent increase has affected patent agents.  
IP Logged

Isaac
forest

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 9:05am »

on Apr 30th, 2007, 8:31am, Isaac wrote:

160k is the starting salary for 1st year attorneys at the  large general practice NYC law firms.  That number is for attorneys doing IP and non IP work.   Markets outside of NYC have seen increases to their base salaries, but in most places, salaries lag behind what NYC firms pay.  I don't know how that recent increase has affected patent agents.  

Isaac is correct. I know of several NYC firms where 1st year attorneys make 160K. It's probably relative when compared to other cities due to the insane C.O.L. in NYC.

50-60K seems extremely lowball to me.
IP Logged

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." ~Albert Einstein
Wiscagent

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 9:21am »

"... salary range for the following candidate:   Ph.D. - top 5 school, chemistry; Post-Doc experience; 3 years of industrial experience; without USPTO reg. #?"

If you are a member of the American Chemical Society, look at the ACS web site.  There is a calculator in which you enter your specific situation - education, experience, type of work, industry, etc. and the average and typical salary ranges (based on the ACS salary survey) are provided.

If you are NOT an ACS member ... join now.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2007, 4:09pm by Wiscagent » IP Logged

Richard Tanzer
Patent Agent
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »