The Intellectual Property Law Server

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 28th, 2020, 10:05am

Forums Forums Help Help Search Search Members Members Calendar Calendar Login Login Register Register
   Intellectual Property Forums

Patent Agent/Lawyer Careers
(Moderators: Forum Admin, JimIvey, JSonnabend)
   Is PTO farming out?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Is PTO farming out?  (Read 3392 times)
formerexaminerdude
Re: Is PTO farming out?
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 11:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I do know MANY examiners that are moving over to Landon IP.  It's a pretty well-established search firm.  They don't do prosecution.  They are located right across the street from the PTO, and are considered a top search firm in the country.  I  don't know if the examiners I know that moved over there like it more or not, however, I do know that the benefits are actually better than the PTO, and the pay is substantially equivalent.  They are hiring all across the board.  

I know examiners that have moved over to Cardinal as well.   The pay is fair, from the letter you provided.  Where did you find it??  I tried to google it, and couldn't locate the site.  

Yes, so if you do get sick, it appears that you would be pretty much screwed.  

Also, the best thing about the job from what I've heard is that you get to search ALL KINDS of applications, from electrical to business methods to mechanical to medical devices.  That kind of experience is rare.  At the PTO, you get pigeon-holed into learning a narrow subject matter, such as gaskets, or valves, and nothing else.  If you wish to move on to a law firm or corporation, you're minimally versatile in terms of knowledge of "art"

Hope this helps!  Good thing I had a lot of friends at the PTO that jumped ship!  Smiley

IP Logged
formerexaminerdude
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26th, 2007, 11:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hey sorry guys, my browser was being crazy, and was reposting and posting when I wasn't aware.
IP Logged
AgentG

« Reply #7 on: May 2nd, 2007, 3:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am also considering a work at home job offer with Cardinal Law Group.  I did confirm that they have received the contract from the PTO.  Judging from the RFP documents, a large volume of work is available.

CLG is offering $300 per written opinion.  Depending on your speed and technical knowledge, this work could be handsomely profitable.  The question is, how much are they making off this??

Also, I am not sure if there are some long-term issues.  What happens if the contract is revoked?
IP Logged
Johnnypatent

« Reply #8 on: May 4th, 2007, 4:51pm »

I too am thinking about signing with Cardinal. I did not get a letter like the one posted by chasmebuddoor. I received a letter from the Human Resources Director that was an offer, much different, from what is posted here. I talked with a few of the current search staff at Cardinal, they seemed very happy and spoke highly of their work and direction the company is moving in.  Also, the HR Director pointed me to this site which gave me a clearer view of the company: cardinal-ip   add the com, sorry the blog wont let me post a url.

Ill probably decide next week.
IP Logged
ideaman

« Reply #9 on: May 4th, 2007, 8:50pm »

AgentG, I work for a small search firm and have been looking to move to Cardinal. I've wondered about the profit ratio where I currently work and what Cardinal offers. My current situation pays me less than Cardinal is offering and the overhead and management is less than appealing, just one reason I want out of my current situation. Cardinal seems to be on a roll and is investing into infrastructure which appeals to my resume. I can knock out searches with ease, so I think this rate would be very profitable for me and given Cardinal has a constant flow of cases this seems to be good gig. My current situation is like hanging on day to day waiting for a case. It also seems that Cardinal has many other accounts besides the PTO.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »